Getting Set up -

Graphic Design: A User's Manual - Adrian Shaughnessy

That's a brilliant book. Get that.

All you need is a sketchbook, a good camera (we've got a Lumix LX3- its a compact but the photos are of an extremely good quality) some tools to work in different media- ink, plates & rollers, paints etc, a decent computer with the relevant software and a good relationship with a printer (we work predominantly with Team up in Leeds & I don't think I could recommend a better printers tbh).

Too many designers work solely on their laptops, making their work flat and uninteresting. Learn to develop your ideas away from the computer & you'll stand out.

Try to avoid the big magazines & blogs for anything other that spying on other agencies and brands- if you look to them for your inspiration, your work will follow trend instead of setting them.

Good luck- it's a great time to be the "new guy." x

Hi Daniel,

Some very good advice there, I'm quite new to this too (but have been around design for 7 yrs + with college/uni etc) - so I'll be using those tips myself!

I definately agree with staying away from the computer-I've wasted so much time messing about on Photoshop etc because I didnt have a concept clear in my mind before I started.

Also, I notice you're from Nottingham - like me! I've just got in from having a look round the contemporary Art Gallery in town. I STRONGLY recommend you have a look. I'm full of ideas now!

Most of all, for ideas and inspiration just get out there: look at stuff that people take for granted; flowers, buses, paving slabs, drain pipes, newspapers, shadows, holes, signs, billboards, footprints.......EVERYTHING!!

Keep informing yourself visually, and keep a camera with you wherever you go.

:)

I'm also from Nottingham, and here's what you should do - finish school, then get onto the Foundation course at Nottingham Trent:

Foundation Certificate in Art and Design | Nottingham Trent International College

That was one of the best years of my life - being creative all day, exploring what you'd like to do, not a great deal of pressure.

Then, if you still want to do graphic design, get onto a BA course and do that for three years. Then, get a job at an agency and learn the ropes. Then, maybe, you'll be ready to do your own thing.

You're way too young to be worrying about the stuff you're worrying about. It's great that you're interested in the subject, but the best way to start is not by worrying about logos, but learn to draw, learn composition, learn to see, be creative and above all, have some fun!

Happy Christmas.

Thanks thats pretty helpfull actually - Gonna archive that post
Its good knowing people from Nottingham

And, If i, If in 5 or 6 years time i end up producing websites and logos like Spark Creative(s) selection, i'll consider myself a very lucky man

Back