Full website re-design required. Cosmetic design only

businessbecause

Hi,

I work on the graphics and design for www.businessbecause.com

Currently we are expanding into a much bigger website with a lot more content and functionality.

We have a web developer building the site for us in php. so all we need is a professional new look for the website.

We're looking for someone who's designed online newspaper/magazine and/or networking websites. We basically need someone with experience in dealing with content rich websites. We have a lot of information and material to get on each page and we need a simple layout and design.

Once the website design is done we'd also like a new logo/brand + usage guidelines.

We need someone who has time to start straight away.

Our favorite website designs at the moment are:

NY magazine
Slate magazine
Nylon magazine

Please send me a PM for further details.

Thanks

Quotation

Hi
If you would a quotation from Armadillo Creative please don't hesitate to contact me.
Good luck and kind regards
Anne Client Services Director:icon_smile:

Thank you, we have a designer for our re-design

Hi everyone,

We've got a designer from this forum post! Thanks to everyone who contacted me with regards to this work good luck in the future!

Cheers,

Sian | BusinessBecause

We're using Creative Protege. They are a young company (like us), they have a vast army of young creative talent, we liked their website as it was clean and clear to navigate to their portfolio where they have covered big clients. They had a very good, approachable telephone manner and are comfortable with re-working their designs until we're happy without charging overtime/by the hour. They can start straight away.

The key things that we considered for this piece of work were:
- Previous work - this kind of comes down to personal taste
- Professional and approachable - full contact details from website/email signature are helpful!
- Careful pricing - We were obviously prepared to pay, but one person offers us the job for hundreds and the other is pricing well into the thousands, in the end we went for someone in between. We didn't want to go with the cheapest or the most expensive - think carefully about your market before you consider your pricing.
- East to navigate website - when you've been looking through 40+ websites it's really frustrating to not be able to clearly see a portfolio

hope this helps!

Ok... this is going to sound like sour grapes but...

If it's the same Creative Protege I've found, it seems like they'll give your brief to a college graduate to work on for free and then charge you for it? That's fine, and I'm sure it keeps costs down, but how can you have any guarantee of the quality of work you're going to get when you have no idea who'll be working on it? In your brief, you asked for someone with experience - that's not what you're going to get from those guys.

Like I said, I'm not trying to attack, just interested in the reasoning.

Oh and apologies if I've got the wrong Creative Protege.

It is indeed that Creative Protege.

Yes, in a way you're right about their system. However:
a) we can change/review the designs as many time as we like mean that we can tell them if we think the stuff we're getting is sub-standard.
b) Some of their designers are more experienced (have done a couple of projects already and do get some form of payment for the work, depending on how much you pay them you can get a more experienced designer on your project. Also we can meet/talk to the graduates if we want.
c) at the end of the day, you can never guarantee the level of quality that you'll get from anyone, designers may only showcase their most successful stuff on their website portfolios. I'm sure it's common for people to do a job that doesn't eventually get used by the client or doesn't make it to their portfolio.
d) by charging us for the whole project they've allowed us the flexibility of asking them to tweak our design. A lot of designers wanted to charge by the hour, which is fine, but for us (a poor start up) it was necessary that we didn't have someone work for 10 hours on something that we're not actually that happy with - better that we feel confident that we can go back and tweak things.
e) the project managers/brief team bring the experience of layouts/briefs they've encountered before and the grads bring the fresh ideas to the table

I can let you know how it goes but I like to think that a graduate who's just studied hard to become a designer who has the right support/management and who has a lot to prove will push themselves hard to provide high quality effective design on one of their first projects.

It is indeed that Creative Protege.

Yes, in a way you're right about their system. However:
a) we can change/review the designs as many time as we like mean that we can tell them if we think the stuff we're getting is sub-standard.
b) Some of their designers are more experienced (have done a couple of projects already and do get some form of payment for the work, depending on how much you pay them you can get a more experienced designer on your project. Also we can meet/talk to the graduates if we want.
c) at the end of the day, you can never guarantee the level of quality that you'll get from anyone, designers may only showcase their most successful stuff on their website portfolios. I'm sure it's common for people to do a job that doesn't eventually get used by the client or doesn't make it to their portfolio.
d) by charging us for the whole project they've allowed us the flexibility of asking them to tweak our design. A lot of designers wanted to charge by the hour, which is fine, but for us (a poor start up) it was necessary that we didn't have someone work for 10 hours on something that we're not actually that happy with - better that we feel confident that we can go back and tweak things.
e) the project managers/brief team bring the experience of layouts/briefs they've encountered before and the grads bring the fresh ideas to the table

I can let you know how it goes but I like to think that a graduate who's just studied hard to become a designer who has the right support/management and who has a lot to prove will push themselves hard to provide high quality effective design on one of their first projects.

Ok, I guess I understand your reasoning on this. But I'm sure it wouldn't have been that hard to find someone who would quote on a project basis, rather than per hour. And it's usual to allow for amends and client tweaking to the work until the client is happy with it - it would be a very strange agency that didn't allow you to do that.

In terms of quality - yes you're right that agencies only showcase their best work, but that applies to every agency, including Creative Protege. What other people will have that these people won't is experience working on the kind of work you're looking for.

It would be great if you could let us know your experiences working with these guys - it's a new way of doing things and it will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Back