Frequency of invoicing

gprovan

I've been invoicing some clients immediately after doing a job.
Some I wait till the end of the month to build up a batch, as I'd have to send perhaps 40 invoices individually to one client.

I was wondering how you invoice your clients and if you have a specific policy.

Do you wait till the end of the month to build up all the jobs, then invoice them?
Do you invoice each individual job when completed?
A combination of these or something else?

Also what time terms do you use for payment? Do you expect paid immediately, within 7 days, 30 days or something else?

Ta :)

I invoice as soon as it's done as some older client do the 30 day thing.

All others and especially new clients it' 50% up front and balance on completion.

Invoiced at the start and within a day of completion, I do give them a few days to pay though.

50% upfront unless I have a VERY good long term relationship with them.

Retainers/'pre-purchased' hours are slightly different obviously as they can spread the cost over a year (although I do have caveats in place)

50% up front then invoice for the rest as soon as the job is signed off. No delivery until payment is complete.

I let things accumulate over the month and then send all invoices at once at the end. I've been pretty lucky with my clients. Never had any payment problems. Otherwise, I might have changed it over time.

I send the final incoice as soon as the job is completed, some clients take time to pay so account for that. Some larger companies even have invoice deadlines, basically if it's not recieved by a certain date then you have to wait until the following payment run to get paid. I once had to wait 4 months for a payment because I invoiced a day late and missed the upcoming payment run. That stung.

Back