freelance - invoicing


New Member
Hi everyone,

I am currently working full time at a graphic design agency under a contract with an umbrella company.
On my free time, I freelance and have an existing client who requires an invoice from me.

What are my options if I am not registered as a company/self employed...
I would like to avoid any complicated administrative tasks as I will just have one project at the moment.

Thank you.

I don’t see legally that you have any option other than becoming self-employed. Or don’t worry about it, keep records of money that you’re taking in case you get caught and hope for the best!
Legally you must register with the tax office, now known as Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs.

Registering as a Sole Trader is really simple - HMRC will even talk you through it, there's tons of help online, etc.

You may find you don't have to pay any tax on your additional income, but you need to tell HMRC about it.

Don't forget that once you're self-employed, you can claim all sorts of things as business expenses. Again, talk to HMRC.

I've always found them really helpful for my freelance stuff.