Football Programmes

dedwardp

I would love to get in to the editorial design side of football programmes and to work with even just one club to producing their matchday programe.

Thinking ahead to trying to get something next season and I'm assuming that, in order to start discussing anything with any clubs in time, it would need to be around the New Year sort of time that I start to approach clubs.

But what would be the best way of doing this? What would people assume is the common practice?

Would I best to submit a formal letter as a form of proposal, outlining sample work and some ideas for the project? What sort of ideas would you think ought to be included? Should there be any discussion of price at this stage?

I'd really appreciate any advice that people might have :icon_smile:

Why don't you start with a few small clubs - doing the work for free - build up a pedigree?

Yeah I can see the idea; when I first started I designed a few covers for non-league sides in exchange for a full page advert on the back, the clubs that are low down enough to only have the cover sheet printed professionally.

Depending on the size of clubs they might not have a lot of money so you could, as others have said offer your service for free for the first one in return for an advert? If you do a good job and it all goes smoothly then you might get paid work with them.

Good luck!

Depending on the size of clubs they might not have a lot of money so you could, as others have said offer your service for free for the first one in return for an advert? If you do a good job and it all goes smoothly then you might get paid work with them.

Good luck!

Also like this idea - that they can receive something at no loss to them with good prospects of receiving a very good design (well, at least I like to think so :icon_biggrin:)

I would love to get in to the editorial design side of football programmes and to work with even just one club to producing their matchday programe.

Thinking ahead to trying to get something next season and I'm assuming that, in order to start discussing anything with any clubs in time, it would need to be around the New Year sort of time that I start to approach clubs.

But what would be the best way of doing this? What would people assume is the common practice?

Would I best to submit a formal letter as a form of proposal, outlining sample work and some ideas for the project? What sort of ideas would you think ought to be included? Should there be any discussion of price at this stage?

I'd really appreciate any advice that people might have :icon_smile:

Hi there,
I used to design match day programmes for local games in and around the Midlands. The company is in West Bromwich and is a commercial printers who had a studio in-house, although things may have changed since I was there about 10 years ago!
Still, maybe they can point you in the right direction or even offer you some freelance work?
Worth a try?

Lion FPG

Anyway, hope this helps.

As an alternative to the main club programme (for the moment) you could approach club fanzeines. We work with Bristol City supporters club ad hoc, you'll see us on the homepage - good fun and a lovely bunch of people.

Back