End of the road, time for something new!?

bigdave

As the title really, the past month or so Ive been getting the feeling that Ive perhaps reached the end of the road with my current employer and its time for a change. The hard bit is that I love working for the company and they're really good to me but I'm sick of the suffocating lack of creativity here. Over the past 15 months the sales reps have been dictating the design more and more to the extent that I feel like I'm no more than a glorified mac monkey squashing text into a box.

On top of this, due to changes in the bonus structure, the sales staff have all but given up selling which means I sit on my arse watching the clock for 9 hours a day.... This really isnt what I signed up for and Ive had enough!

There seems to be so little work out there at the moment and so many designers after it, a move now could see me end up with nothing but if I stay where I am till the jobs market improves, I risk going mental but more importantly I risk becoming pigeon holed as an art worker with no future as a creative.

I just don't know what to do next!......

I know it's not really much help but your post reminded me of this poster :icon_tongue_smilie:

designer-not-screwdriver.png

I think from the sounds of it a move away to somewhere else could be the best thing for you but that your biggest concern and, therefore, the main thing holding you back at the moment is a fear of not finding work elsewhere?

If that is the case, can you not look around for something else and see what sort of opportunities there are for you? If you cannot find anything then you still have the security of your current job but if you do, you can hand in your notice and be off knowing that you will still have work?

Whilst scouring the internet I discovered that a local agency are advertising for an editorial/magazine designer (thats pretty much what Ive been doing for the past 2 years) so I've submitted my CV.

I didnt expect to hear anything because this agency are high flying and notoriously hard to please so I was amazed to see an email from them this morning asking for a few more samples of my work! Not bad considering I rushed my CV to get it together in time to meet the application deadline!

I'm not expecting to get a job out of this but just getting an interview will give me a much needed boost!

Whilst scouring the internet I discovered that a local agency are advertising for an editorial/magazine designer (thats pretty much what Ive been doing for the past 2 years) so I've submitted my CV.

I didnt expect to hear anything because this agency are high flying and notoriously hard to please so I was amazed to see an email from them this morning asking for a few more samples of my work! Not bad considering I rushed my CV to get it together in time to meet the application deadline!

I'm not expecting to get a job out of this but just getting an interview will give me a much needed boost!

Sounds like great news, good luck Dave! :)

Like I say, if it comes about then it will be brilliant as it sounds like a good agency to work for and will give you the fresh lease of life to kick on again, and if it isn't to be then at least you won't be jobless.

Hope it goes well for you!

Back