Emailing design companies.

DarrenH

OK so I have gathered a list of around 20 graphic design companies in Manchester and I need to email them ASAP for a better chance of getting a reply and hopefully a placement.

I want the email to be pretty casual but also professional... I will be attaching a few pieces of my work.

So I guess my question is, does anybody have any tips for the email... structure, things to include etc...

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Just a thought but any reason you're not going to phone them? We get e-mails like this on a daily basis. Occasionally they get answered but generally not. If someone phones us though at least they have our undivided attention to make their 'pitch'.

Just a thought but any reason you're not going to phone them? We get e-mails like this on a daily basis. Occasionally they get answered but generally not. If someone phones us though at least they have our undivided attention to make their 'pitch'.

To be honest I am not the best speaker and I don't know how much of a downfall that will be in this occupation but also I would like to attach some work so they can make a judgment based on that really.

Hmmm, I do understand and my tutor said the same thing but I'll need a couple shots if I was to make a phone call haha...

I have also done some self promotion where I have a growing kit with a pot, soil, instructions and seed inside a takeaway style bag, designed front and back labels with the headline 'Help me grow" and I refer to myself as the seed.

2ishxr8.jpg

2e4j6tg.jpg

I was going to take them around to the companies myself and drop them off at the "reception" or front desk.

Good idea? I do need to stand out somehow!!!

How about you give me a job? :D hahaa

To be honest I am not the best speaker and I don't know how much of a downfall that will be in this occupation but also I would like to attach some work so they can make a judgment based on that really.

Hmmm, I do understand and my tutor said the same thing but I'll need a couple shots if I was to make a phone call haha...

I totally understand that it isn't easy. Ask anyone and they'll tell you I'm not the greatest fan of the phone. I am fine face to face but find picking up the phone very daunting indeed. You are going to need to sell yourself at some stage though.

My advice would be to practice talking about yourself with family and friends until you get the hang of it. Key points are;

• Have a checklist in your head of the facts you'd like to tell prospective employers
  • Don't stick so rigidly to that list that a question from the blue throws you completely
  • Don't waffle
  • Be positive about your skill set
  • 'Close' the conversation/sale by asking for an appointment
  • Don't be put off if the first couple go badly. It will get easier!

Trust me when I say that a phone call will open more doors than an e-mail by far.

Really wish you the best of luck :icon_biggrin:

Don't be friendly! These people don't know you from Adam and they wouldn't employ you if you turned up at an interview, called the Creative Director 'geeza' and slapped him on the back, so don't do it in am email. Your humor/friendly email style may come across as arrogance.

The email title should be simple. eg 'graduate creative seeking internship'.. That way they know what you want. If you've won a D&AD award stick that in there too but 'extremely talented, passionate graduate seeking first step on the ladder to greatness' is over kill.

Easiest way to tackle the body of your email is to think of it as a story, and all good stories have a beginning, a middle and an end...

Beginning:
Your email title already tells them what you want so just Introduce yourself, your professional background, where you've been, where you want to go.

Middle:
What can you bring to the party and what would you like to take from it? Relate your past experience to their company. What is it about them that makes you feel you could fit in better than anywhere else? Remember they are more likely to take you on if they can see it being beneficial.

End:
Sum up your email. Remind them what it is you're emailing them for, what you want to take away and what you can give in return. Remember to kiss a bit of arse at this point and thank them for taking the time from their busy schedule to read your letter.

Hope some of this helps.

Make sure the file size of your work samples is not too large - I often get sent 15MB+ pdf's from graduates looking for work which is quite annoying!

Thanks guys, really really helpful tips.

I cant hand code a website but Bristol sounds nice :p
Also I may take you up on that offer Corrosive, within a week or 2 that is, like I mentioned I not exactly eger to be phoning people but it has to be done and because of that it will be done

Here is my email so far:

Dear Sir/Madam, [Name here if I can find it out]

My name is Darren and I'm a Graphic Design student from the University of Salford looking for a work placement for the summer months. I would love to gain some experience in the industry, as I wish to pursue a career in design, and [name the company] particularly stood out for me as the kind of design agency that I would enjoy working for.

I have skills in most areas of design but specialize in communication; my favourite areas being branding and advertising. I am also very familiar with Adobe Creative Suite, having used it for the past 3 years, and have an interest in illustration.

I really admire the work you have done, especially [name a particular project I like + the client] as [reasons why]. I would love the opportunity to show you the kind of ideas I could contribute to [the company name]. I have attached a few pieces of my work for you to look at and I hope to hear from you soon.

any feedback?

More importantly...

what subject title would help me get noticed?
There feel there is different ways this could be done, one being something along the lines of 'FUCK YOUUUU'
but that is just suicide.

I don't want it to be boring and a part of me doesn't want it to be ' student,design,placement etc...

how about: Man about job (play on words of Man about dog)
but even that... seems boring and easily passed by.

I wouldn't try to be too clever with the title. Just say what you want. Anything 'smart' might just be passed of a spam in the morning e-mail scan.

I'm sorry if this seems blunt, have I missed a pun?
But, why on earth would you title an email FUCK YOUUUUU?

I think that's absolutely fine...don't forget to add your email and tel number to the bottom of your email.

Emails are a waste of effort.

Doesn't matter how well designed they are. I get about 4 or 5 a day. They dont get opened. Not because im being horrible because i dont have time to read yet another email and look at another website/pdf. An email in itself in this day an age is a lazy option compared with face to face.

I got my first design job by pestering the company then working for £100 a week for two months.

I would suggest going down in person to the companies or at least phoning them.

How would you feel about someone calling you from Canada?

Would you feel I am wasting my time because I don't plan on arriving in the UK until late July?

I was actually thinking of shooting out a few emails all over the UK but after reading the content of this thread I am beginning to wonder if calling even from this distance would be better. As you can imagine I will be paying enormous long distance charges on my mobile. So I'd like to get a good Idea if calling from Canada a good or bad Idea before I contemplate the concept of phoning across the planet.

thoughts?

How would you feel about someone calling you from Canada?

Would you feel I am wasting my time because I don't plan on arriving in the UK until late July?

I was actually thinking of shooting out a few emails all over the UK but after reading the content of this thread I am beginning to wonder if calling even from this distance would be better. As you can imagine I will be paying enormous long distance charges on my mobile. So I'd like to get a good Idea if calling from Canada a good or bad Idea before I contemplate the concept of phoning across the planet.

thoughts?

Might be worth looking at some of those international phone cards to see if you can get a better deal on calls.

Also a questions to employers here. When would be the ideal time of day for you to receive a call from an inquiring grad? No point me calling at the employers peak busiest time of day where their mind is totally somewhere else and they see me as nothing more then a bothersome thorn.

Back