Don't you hate it when people say stupid things!

bigdave

As some of you will be aware, the mrs and I have decided to start our own design agency. She's an amazing designer but not much of a business person. We've agreed that I will deal with quotes, prices, bookkeeping etc but I'm starting to wonder if letting her come to meetings with clients is a bad idea!? During a meeting yesterday she first of all opened her mouth and said "well you don't really need a rebrand" to a client who'd almost agreed to one! 10 mins later while the same client was pushing for prices and had just been told our hourly rate she opened her pie hole again and said "it probably won't take more than an hour"!!

She couldn't see my problem when I pointed out that we'd already spent an hour and a half with the client, there's a proposal to write and probably another meeting or two. All of which we now won't be getting paid for!

GRRRRR.....

End of rant

LMAO! Hehe

I'm known for saying stupid things so I can't comment too much! Whenever I'm out with family/friends/partner, I'm always made to keep shut and let them do the talking...I ALWAYS put my foot in it! :icon_biggrin:

Lol

Pretty funny stuff mate, however if i may offer a little professional advise, there is be something to be said for transparency. What we do is only offer value to the client, if they dont need it, we dont supply it. the reasons for this are simple. we have found that:

1. the client always knows best and will invariably commission you to work not based on your recommendations but on what their experience dictates.

2. The client will build trust and a long term working relationship with you. This will vastly out-way the time taken in selling to them, and if they require extra consultancy outside the outlined brief then they are billable for it.

I hope this advise is helpful mate.

Robin

www.glazedeye.co.uk

My Apologies guys,

what i meant to say that the client invariably believes they know best.

We frequently are asked to show clients designs based on their ideas which simply do not work, once we have shown them this we are then able to progress with our recommendations. That said we have made the client aware that the extra time spent providing designs which we know don't work will cost extra money. We find, very quickly i might add, that they start listening to our advise after that.

Sorry for the typo,

I hasten to add, i do not believe, the client always knows otherwise Toppers is 100% correct and we would all be out of jobs. lol

Robin

I understand the issue with unpaid meetings, phonecalls, emails...even 'thinking time' that happens out of work time (eureka moments in the bath of all places!). You need to get as much as you deserve for this time. However, if your partner is an amazing designer, as you say she is, and believes your client doesn't "really need a rebrand", then maybe she's right? Yes, hold your tongue in certain situations, but as it's a creative service your offering surely what's best for the client is paramount.

The client came to us because she wants a full rebrand & new business stationery. The stumbling block was the price so it was taking some encouragement, then boom! the potential £800 job becomes £100.... :( as she'd not only talked us out of the branding but everything bar the letter heads.

The client has said she'll be back for the full service in 6 months but Im not so sure

Last edited:
Your wife sounds just like me. If I had a partner with a business head I really would let them do the talking. Can’t you talk your client into a few hundred letterheads whilst you work on the rebrand... and keep the missus away from the clients in future!

Aye a tricky one that. Where my main job is I will frequently convince customers to change their orders to obtain best value and my boss berates me for it every time. I work on the premise that if you help them out they'll be back. Still if it was my wife I'd probably hit the roof :icon_biggrin:

ps - sorry about the quote for the transparent cards, I only had my spleen out a couple of weeks ago and I'm still not completely up to speed, if you still need a price drop me a PM :icon_thumbup:

As some of you will be aware, the mrs and I have decided to start our own design agency. She's an amazing designer but not much of a business person. We've agreed that I will deal with quotes, prices, bookkeeping etc but I'm starting to wonder if letting her come to meetings with clients is a bad idea!? During a meeting yesterday she first of all opened her mouth and said "well you don't really need a rebrand" to a client who'd almost agreed to one! 10 mins later while the same client was pushing for prices and had just been told our hourly rate she opened her pie hole again and said "it probably won't take more than an hour"!!

She couldn't see my problem when I pointed out that we'd already spent an hour and a half with the client, there's a proposal to write and probably another meeting or two. All of which we now won't be getting paid for!

GRRRRR.....

End of rant

very brave, 24 / 7 with the wifey.. hmmm good luck. Wish i had a business partner - I can do websites- just really bad at marketing and quoting and closing

Weve been working together at the day job for over a year now n that drives us crazy but I think it's different when you work together on your own terms rather than sat in an office 9-5...... I hope anyway!.... When I get fed up of her I'll just go brew some beer!

I've worked with my husband for more years than I can remember! BUT when it's your own business remember to switch off and don't talk about work ALL the time. If you have an office (even if its the spare bedroom) only talk office in the office. That way you might stay married!!

Big Dave just reading this thread. sorry I laughed alot.:icon_lol:

Over the years I've had different business running concurrently (I think that's what youcall it) anyway. 4 years my wife had to leave her nice secure employment to keep an eye on me (I had quite a health scare). Instead o fbecoming part of business I set her up in own right and referred clients but to this day I still do front of house Sales, collecting monies, agreements... why the same reason as yourself she made a serious gaff. Although shes over it she never was comfortable with asking fo rmoney or work.
So let the sales people be sales and craftspeople craft as the saying goes. :icon_notworthy:

Back