Does Photoshop Make You a Designer?

The ability to fly a particular type of aircraft can be assessed objectively; design is a bit trickier (and a whole lot less important). If someone can achieve what I require using skills I don't possess (whateverthose skills are), then we can agree that the outcome is satisfactory; if, however, they promise to achieve something and I end up in a life jacket blowing a whistle in the middle of the Atlantic then I'm less happy. The design thing is probably better served by an aviation analogy that involves business class and/or a crate in the cargo hold - whichever way you travel, you end up where it says on the ticket but, in the end, you tend to get what you pay for (and the ends justify the means [in at least two senses of the word]).

I still can't escape the idea that there's a layer of snootiness in all of this but, again, keep in mind that design exists on a spectrum: if there wasn't anyone worse at it than you, you'd be the worst available and it stands to reason that there are better equipped, better skilled and more creative people than me out there who are probably not too thrilled with my output (that's fine, but then I occupy my place - not theirs... if you follow the chain of dominoes, where does it end?).

It's funny, years ago I actually wrote my dissertation on the impact Photoshop has on graphic design. Although Photoshop does not make you a designer, it sure as hell helps as long as you have design knowledge, and know how to back up the use of any software you may choose to use as a tool, to aid you to a final outcome of the design in question.

Does Photoshop make you a designer? This is a rhetorical question. No one is going to answer Yes!
Does Adobe Illustrator make you an Illustrator?

From a print POV, photoshoppers can be a massive pain in the a*se.

Logo provided from client to print on massive scale. Been created real tiny small in PS.

and I end up in a life jacket blowing a whistle in the middle of the Atlantic then I'm less happy.

Ahahaha. :icon_clapping:

The whole debate could go on forever. I think their is an element of snootiness in the article by Simon, but I guess he's trying to stimulate discussion, so it's working a treat :)

The chain of dominoes would never end.

As a graphic design student and someone who started on photoshop, I'd just like to share my views.

Photoshop, for me, acted as a way of getting into design. A fun and not too expensive (with PS elements) way with lots of tutorials and help online. Before I knew much about graphic design I started playing around in Photoshop (I'm talking when I was about 11, so quite a while ago). It started off as just a bit of fun. I would edit photos of cars and just show them to family or friends. A few years later I was on some gaming forums making small designs for people. I'm talking avatars and signatures, all forum based graphics. I didn't claim to be a graphic designer, and I didn't charge for the work. A few years later again and I was doing a little bit of paid freelance work, and now I'm doing Graphic Arts at university.

I agree that photoshop is a tool, and I understand that there are some people out there that learn how to use it and claim to be a designer. Some may think that starting a design career learning the basics by hand or 'the old fashioned way' and then learning the tools/programs is the best way to do it. I think in the modern day we live in, photoshop acts as a great way for young people to get interested in design. Don't forget that while we may be judging the people who claim to be designers, and charge £10 for a logo, they may just be in their early stages of their career. They may be where I was a few years ago. If they have the drive and determination then they will hopefully go on to do bigger and better things. If there's a market for lower quality, cheaper designs then let them do it. If anything I think it would be more productive for the design industry to encourage all young people to try their hand at it and do their best, rather than criticise. Cheapening the industry? Maybe. But if someone had shot me down a few years ago and told me I wasn't a real designer, I may have stopped pursuing a career in graphic design.

It's not an issue to use PS as a starting point is it really? I think the only arena where it really matters how the work was produced is if you want to print it.

Where power point and publisher are works of the devil.

"I have done this booklet that I want A4 please. My artwork is all ready to print"
"no worries, send us the artwork and we'll do that asap"

*Gets email. Opens power point slideshow. Face palms* :icon_biggrin:

Back