Developing for ModX vs WP?..

bigdave

Dave waits for Toby to pop his head over the parapet...

When I first looked at CMS' about 12 months ago, ModX seemed the best platform for ease of use but I've as of yet to actually use it. I'm now starting to build some sites which will need a CMS but having spent the last 8 months working in WordPress (modifying themes for my boss), going back to modx it seems like somethings missing? As a non .jquery or .php writer I'll rely heavily on plugins for things such as galleries, contact forms etc.. until I get to grips with the above. This isnt an issue in WP as there's millions of the things to chose from but in ModX they seem to be thin on the ground. In fact everything seems thin on the ground in modx?

Is it the case that the few plugins/snippets that exist in modx work so well that nobody has ever felt the need to re-develop them? Or, is ModX something that is mainly used by people who have the ability to develop their own php and jquery so a wordpress-esque list of a zillion plugins for laymen isn't needed? Alternatively... am I just being a dumbass and looking in the wrong place?

There are less plugins for Modx for two reasons really, it isn't as established as WP so less people develop for it and, yep, there is a lot more scope for using your own php and javascript. That said, the way to approach this is that it actually gives you more choice because of the 'generic' stuff that is available on the web anyway. WP users may struggle to have the gallery design they want if it isn't packaged as a plugin but Modx users can just install it as they would a plain 'ol HTML website and use the available gallery plugin to output the images into the correct HTML format to make it work. I find that easier myself. I've not found anything I've wanted to do that doesn't have at least a plugin to output the HTML I need and then I can do what I want with it on the page.

When building static sites, I've never struggled to implement my own contact forms galleries etc.. so I guess I shouldn't worry too much. I guess if anything it would encourage me to learn more js, php etc..

When building static sites, I've never struggled to implement my own contact forms galleries etc.. so I guess I shouldn't worry too much. I guess if anything it would encourage me to learn more js, php etc..

I think you'll be fine mate. Do check out plugins called FormIt and Gallery. They will both do what you want no problem and there is plenty of config info. There is even FormIt Builder if you get stuck :icon_wink:

I may look into Modx it seems to be getting a rather good following. I have only briefly looked at some videos on Youtube. Does anyone have any good Modx resources that could possibly be made into a sticky for other people interested in learning about this CMS.

I may look into Modx it seems to be getting a rather good following. I have only briefly looked at some videos on Youtube. Does anyone have any good Modx resources that could possibly be made into a sticky for other people interested in learning about this CMS.

Great beginner tutorial; MODX Revolution Beginner Tutorials Updated to Revolution 2.2 | The Coding Pad and also Bob's Guides are excellent (if a little assumptive in the sense of expecting you to know the 'language' of ModX as a starting point) Bob's Guides | The MODX CMS. Hope that helps you get kick started with creative freedom vs hours of hacking WP :icon_wink:

Reactions: RDB
Back