Designer WANTED

EPT

I need a designer for my football T-shirt business. Preferably a college/university student who has a keen interest in sport.

Willing to pay £50 per used design. Hoping that our agreement will be long term and pay will increase if/when business 'takes off'. If there's anything else you want to know please message me or email [email protected]

Thanks

Eliot

You didn't get the irony... oh dear.

You're offering to pay for designs used, meaning someone has to sit there and design them. And you then get to handpick which designs to use and you'll only pay for those?

Not a chance - that's not how it works! That's exactly like me saying "Send me all your t-shirts, I'll keep them all, but I'm only going to pay for the ones that I wear".

Or - "I will pay £50 per design"

This gives no valuation based on how long a person worked on a design - for example my base rate is £50 that's the fee before I even start (maybe a Students is half that? Who knows?) But I then take into account the time I spend designing the design - that could take 3 hours - resulting in £200 design - and you have the audacity to say that you will only pay £50 per design???

No way is that fair in the real world!

You cannot dictate the value of the design - only the designer does that.

Designers - submit your quote based on your hourly rate and how much time you think is enough to spend on a project, add 150% and send to the OP.

The above statement by you "I will pay £50 per design" is equivalent to me saying "I will pay £1 per t-shirt design, regardless of how much of your time you put into it!"

Your disregard for our industry is insulting. But seen as this is paying job of a measly amount and some students may be interested in it - that is the only reason the thread is still active.

Please see the forum FAQ

You didn't get the irony... oh dear.

You're offering to pay for designs used, meaning someone has to sit there and design them. And you then get to handpick which designs to use and you'll only pay for those?

Not a chance - that's not how it works! That's exactly like me saying "Send me all your t-shirts, I'll keep them all, but I'm only going to pay for the ones that I wear".

Or - "I will pay £50 per design"

This gives no valuation based on how long a person worked on a design - for example my base rate is £50 that's the fee before I even start (maybe a Students is half that? Who knows?) But I then take into account the time I spend designing the design - that could take 3 hours - resulting in £200 design - and you have the audacity to say that you will only pay £50 per design???

No way is that fair in the real world!

You cannot dictate the value of the design - only the designer does that.

Designers - submit your quote based on your hourly rate and how much time you think is enough to spend on a project, add 150% and send to the OP.

The above statement by you "I will pay £50 per design" is equivalent to me saying "I will pay £1 per t-shirt design, regardless of how much of your time you put into it!"

Your disregard for our industry is insulting. But seen as this is paying job of a measly amount and some students may be interested in it - that is the only reason the thread is still active.

Please see the forum FAQ

Apologies, I have no knowledge in this industry (I think that is pretty obvious).

However, what I do believe is that I have a very good idea that will fill a gap in the market.

My wage offered was not meant to be insulting. I thought of it quite simply as this. A student who isn't currently employed in your industry is likely to have a poorly paid minimum wage job.

I just cheekily hoped that they would rather spend less time designing my ideas and earning a good student wage along the way,

Roughly, how long would each design take? An hour? If they produced 3 designs and in the worst case scenario, I only bought 1. They would still have earnt nearly triple the wage that they would have working in a bar, for example.

The likelihood is though that I would buy 2/3, so I didn't think that £150 was a poor student salary for 3 hours work.

Maybe I'm completely wrong again. So I don't know, if I offered a 50/50 share in the company as I completely believe that I would need a lot of advise and help developing the t-shirts. My skills are more in selling, planning and marketing.

Anyway if anybody is interested, please email me at [email protected]

I'm not trying to rip people off, I justy know virtually nothing about the industry. But I sincerely apologise if I have caused anyone any offence.

You're not getting the point. You pay for all the designs, regardless of whether you use them or not. And how long each takes is different for each designer. Some might look simple but take a long time, and that is more expensive. And some may look complicated but are quicker to do, therefore less expensive.

You need to ask people to quote you a price per design and you pay for the designs regardless. You could negotiate 3 designs - but you pay for those, it doesn't matter if you use them or not. I wouldn't go into a restaurant and say "I'm not really sure what I like, give me all 3 dishes and if I like one of them I'll pay for that."

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but the amount of people that visit these forums asking designers to work for next to nothing is ridiculous and it's not really tolerated here at all. £50 is not near enough per design of a t-shirt.

Although people are welcome to work at that rate if they wish - I'm just trying to be a voice of reason here.

What a student earns at the moment is not relevant at all to how much their designs are worth. A 50/50 share in a company is not worth anything to a designer.

The way it works is:
  • Give a brief of what's required
  • Ask for people to submit quotes along with their portfolio
  • You choose which portfolios you think work best for your business
  • You look at the portfolios and the quotes and figure out who you want to work with the most
  • You might pick 1 designer, 2 designers, 5 designers etc. and they all might want a different payment as is their right.

It's between you two then to figure out the best fair price for the work.

If you don't sell the t-shirts that is not on the designers shoulders, that's your business. The designer has their business which is to supply designs.

You never know - you could get some people taking you up on your offer.

Think about it.

I'm only trying to help and hopefully you'll understand.

Back