design concepts wanted

bigben

Hello,

Firstly excuse me if I am getting this all wrong- I'm not to au fait with these things - my cousin suggested this forum, so if I have got the idea of what this forum is all about wrong, please forgive me.

I work for a 195 year old company that has been making large clocks, and you may have heard of a few of them - does "Big Ben" ring a bell (pardon the pun) ?

A lot of the clocks we make are heritage in appearance i.e. they look Victorian.

Due to demand from our clients, predominantly in emerging markets, we have started to design and produce modern looking clocks that suit modern built environments, corporate lobbies, hotels etc. Now we have our own designers working on this, but I wanted to widen the net and see if anybody out there has some great new ideas.

The clocks we make are almost always the centre piece of the environment in which they sit, so they need to have a (sorry again) timeless quality to them, and of course they need to be functioning in some way (though we are good at working that bit out)

So basically we are looking to get some sketch concepts of ideas for what we we call "kenetic art in the built environment" and we will pay for the ones we like, and if we make the clock we will pay again.

If this sounds like your thing get in touch for more info.

I suppose this would interest those who may consider some sketch time to be the opportunity costs of pitching for the work.

Hi please can you make me a clock. But if I don't like it then I won't pay for it. But if you make it and I do like it then I might get another one. Of course you'll have to cover all costs for the making of the first clock.

Hi please can you make me a clock. But if I don't like it then I won't pay for it. But if you make it and I do like it then I might get another one. Of course you'll have to cover all costs for the making of the first clock.

Do you see Curtis's point BigBen?

yes i can.

i can see this is a sore point with some of you, probably born out of experience, and an axe is being ground at my expense.

however i am crediting people with an intellectual capacity to appraise an offer and decide for themselves whether they wish to participate or not.

not withstanding this, I have a genuine opportunity for those willing to participate, and if anyone actually engages with me to look into the matter further, they will quickly understand that we will not be asking anyone to work for free.

for those not willing explore the possibility of work without a guaranteed pay check, this is not for you, and good luck to you, you are in a unique position if this is a successful m.o.

for those wanting to actually understand what the proposition may be, and how they can participate (if they choose to, no obligations !) - please get in touch

Not one for a forum argument, but I think you underestimate the design process many designers use. Designing something like a clock (depending on what you want) I would think would take an awful lot of planning in terms of spacing between elements etc. Yet you seem to shrug off the fact some people have to pay rent, food, bills, everything, as this is their full-time job. But a few days, or weeks should go unpaid, because they COULD be paid, on the basis you like it.

Come on guys :icon_smile:

If anybody is interested in the proposition then by all means go for it, no more beating him over the head, he understands our point of view now :icon_biggrin:

freedom of speech one one of our most precious resources

happy to take the criticism, but in this instance we are really not out to grab all we can and give nothing back, just looking for ways to stimulate ideas and get fresh input. :icon_smile:

we are strong supporters of design, and i think i may have messed up getting across what we are trying to achieve.

vitam quam amas vive

Back