Copyright

Matt73

Hi, This is my first post on here although lately I've been reading lots of threads and found it to be a friendly and informative place.

I was wondering if anybody could offer me some guidance? I am very new to design and illustration on the pc and would like to do simple cartoon style animals etc for stickers.
I am enjoying creating but I absolutely do not want to break any copyright, trademark laws or infringe on anyone's hard work.
I think I know the basics about brands and intellectual property, but if I create an image from my own ideas or photos it may still look like something, somewhere that someone created, I have started doing reverse image checks on Google but is that enough?

Its probably a very naive question but how likely is it to happen and what checks and safeguards can I take to avoid this happening?

Thanks in advance for reading

Matt73

If they are only simple cartoon images I wouldn't worry too much. There are thousands of clip art style images like that online, there's bound to be something somewhere similar to what you
have designed. All you can do is make sure you keep any working sketches etc just in case anyone accuses you of plagiarisation.

Hi Thank you for your reply.

That was my worry there are so many different simple versions of an everyday object so I thought I would have to steer clear, I drew an outline of a hand doing the peace sign as part of a design, but when I did a reverse image search the only way I could make it look different was for it to no longer look like a hand :).

Maybe I'm over thinking it all but I am one of lifes worriers, say I drew a badger and put it a skateboard and someone somewhere had the same idea, would this be a problem?

On a more positive note I have just looked at your website, such fantastic work! I know someone who would love the Terrier.

Thanks again

Thanks for that!

Yes, you're thinking about it too much. For instance, there's no way someone could have copyright of a hand with peace sign, unless it was done in
a very specific style. Same with the badger and skateboard, unless you were copying it in exactly the same style of illustration, you'd be fine. However, if you were using
someone's photo of a badger on a skateboard as reference for an illustration and copied it exactly, that would be infringement of copyright.

While you say you're doing your own designs just be careful with well known characters/animations, think disney/nintendo, because often as not the character and it's likeness are protected.

Say for example mario from nintendo, if you do a plumber with the same 'vibe' as mario (not a straight copy) they'd be unhappy about it, same with a mouse like mickey mouse.

Thanks definitely don't want to be sued by Disney, Nintendo or anyone else, I find it quite daunting I was also worried a simple design representing the same theme as a company logo.

I think you would be better with a thorough Google search rather than asking us, as copyright regulations tend to change fairly regularly.
Though you might find some useful information on DACS website to start you off.

Make sure you put 'UK' (or wherever you're based) when doing a search as these things differ from country to country.

I think if you're not sure and actively involved in a situation where you think you might be infringing copyright would be to consult a lawyer.

I removed your link as it's linked to a PDF. Please do not link to files.
If you want to link to a website please do, but don't post any shortened URLs.

Back