Concept design

Helen J

Hello...I have been asked to cost the design of a selection of adverts.
I was asked do I provide ‘concept design’, and I was wondering if there’s a different definition between ‘concept design’ and ‘design’. I’m a little confused as don’t we explore the concept before creating a design?
If it is a different process, how do I present and cost that?
Thanks

I wouldn't be doing it (provide concept design)personally and I'm guessing they would like you to do it for free..... if they're prepared to pay a nominal fee for it then by all means ignore most of the below.

Basically they'll have asked a number of designers to supply a concept design (a visual mockup of the basic theme/idea of the adverts but not necessarily their product) and then they'll pick their favourite or worse still use the ideas to create in house.

It's in essence a type of crowdsourcing which we don't like on the forum where the only person that is really benefiting is the company wanting the concept design.

Oh I see, I didn’t see it that way.

They did ask how much I would charge but it also comes down to a matter of time as I have other projects to finish.

Thanks for the advice

It is a bit vague as concepts can mean different things to different people. I'm not as skeptical as Levi and maybe they just want quotes for preliminary designs and initial ideas rather
than finished visuals. Probably just best to go back to them and get a bit more info before you quote or just specify exactly what they'll be getting in your quote.

If all adverts are based off 1 advert

Concept Design of 1 advert = 8 x hourly rate (for days work)
+ additional for amends etc.

Design of other adverts = how long it will take 2hours x hourly rate? 1 hour ?

Or just give them an hourly rate for each advert after the concept design is completed.

If all adverts are based off 1 advert

Concept Design of 1 advert = 8 x hourly rate (for days work)
+ additional for amends etc.

Design of other adverts = how long it will take 2hours x hourly rate? 1 hour ?

Or just give them an hourly rate for each advert after the concept design is completed.
Thank you for your advise

Back