Clients questioning invoice

brand4brand

I have been running my freelance business for a few months now. I have a few clients on the books some keep coming back.

I was questioned about an invoice i had sent to create a business card, letterhead and A4 and A5 notepads. I charged what i thought was a reasonable amount and it was questioned. I want to know how would you deal with such a query?

Thanks
James

I hope you haven't supplied the print ready files or printed jobs yet?

Just do the breakdown of the invoice including your time, revisions and all that and then send it back.

They're just looking for a breakdown.

Surely they knew what the quote estimation was before you started? Right?

The job started off as 2 items and then the notepads added. I know the client well (old school friend).

He is very much whatever it costs he will pay. I think it was the fact that there was a big jump in the price of notepads but like you say i didn't break it down. i.e. my time, stock imagery etc. SO that was my justification. I just combined it.

We will see how it pans out.

Don't worry i don't supply print ready artwork before payment even to friends.

Another question I would like to ask do you generally ask for payment before the work? Some are reluctant to do that?

I ask for a deposit of 50% up front before starting work on a project. If the client refuses then I don't work with them. Simple as that.

I've had people question my time on some quotes (always the same people) - it's the ones that give you most hassle over paying small fees in general, and end up being a pain to work with in other areas.

I also ask for at least 50% up front as well, it's not worth working for people if they are not even prepared to put down 50% on your services and time.

Back