Clients From Hell

CYoung

CLIENTS FROM HELL
Clients From Hell

My personal favourite: I had a client that requested we meet in his kitchen. Halfway through our meeting, he excused himself to go to the bathroom but left the door open so we could continue to talk. I charged extra for that meeting.

"shivers" That beats any of mine hands down! even the man who told me "you haven't got the bottle to take me to the small claims court, so im not paying!"....Oh he paid!

while i do hate to slag off clients (even when they are a nightmare) I still like to recall the tale of meeting one client on her balcony during a hot summer. An Old Orleans style jazz band (we were in Shoreditch) funeral procession passed beneath us as we discussed a very hazy project. Suddenly, the client burst into tears. I did my best to console her (she was IN-CON-SOL-ABLE) worried that our meeting had made her miss the funeral procession of her dead mother/father/aunt/uncle. After much sobbing and heaving, I managed to grasp that she infact, didn't know a single person taking part in the procession (much less being buried) and had in her own words "very little first hand experience of death." we cut short the meeting as she was too upset to continue and I never did arrange a second one.

while i do hate to slag off clients (even when they are a nightmare) I still like to recall the tale of meeting one client on her balcony during a hot summer. An Old Orleans style jazz band (we were in Shoreditch) funeral procession passed beneath us as we discussed a very hazy project. Suddenly, the client burst into tears. I did my best to console her (she was IN-CON-SOL-ABLE) worried that our meeting had made her miss the funeral procession of her dead mother/father/aunt/uncle. After much sobbing and heaving, I managed to grasp that she infact, didn't know a single person taking part in the procession (much less being buried) and had in her own words "very little first hand experience of death." we cut short the meeting as she was too upset to continue and I never did arrange a second one.

that sounds brilliant! why wouldn't you want to go back?! :icon_lol:

Brilliant thread - I tear my hair out regularly with my clients and their respective clients (all clueless)... and suddenly I have an urge to whinge...

I have just received this email from one of my regular franchise editors:

This client has requested that we put an advert together for them, l have told them that there is a £10 charge, which we will give to you (if we can do it that is).

l have attached their booking form for the logo and this is the information to go into it. The size will depend on what you feel is the best fit. Let me know.Thanks.

Now I have to be a marketing person, a copywriter and designer (using low-res booking form pdf for the logo for print) for £10? I don't even know where to start with this lady... To make matters worse, this is actually a big step for her - usually I have to design these things for free as part of my per page fee within the franchise agreement to clients (the franchise states that ad design is free...) I can't even get this particular editor to pay the amount that the other editors are willing to pay per page (only a few £ out per page, but they have more pages, so it would make a difference overall...)

Another email received via an editor a couple of days ago - needed to be picked up off the floor...

...also can you CLARIFY with your designer lady that the print quality of advert is minimum of 300dpi she will know what that means??
Please confirm & forward proof when ready. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back