Challenge Anyone?!? Linedance Website...

mceyedol

Hello All,

Am new to the forum... hi :icon_biggrin:

I'm all prepared and ready for the ribbing I'll probably receive. I currently have my own website that is related to my parttime career and choreography within linedance. I created my website using a free template and altered it quite alot.

BimboBoots Website

The problem I have is that I feel the website has outgrown itself and needs a fresher more streamline look. I've been using the current layout for 4 years and feel the change is needed.

* I currently use frontpage and would prefer if I could update the design using this.
* I need to be able to add weblinks to my dance scripts easily and update the news.
* All the sections on the Main Menu would need to be included, unless you can suggest a simple way to consolidate them while still allowing access to all the information.
* The colour scheme would need to be of a similar vibe.... navy, purples etc

Linedance has a stigma for being all cowboys, country & yeee haaa! What I do couldn't be further from this stigma. I appreciate the roots linedance comes from and would like a funky design that has a sympathetic country references i.e. silohuette of a boot/hat etc

I kinda feeling maybe the top banner should have my logo, & the site have some sort of Polaroid style design. I'd love to have some sort of animation but know this would be preciey... maybe something like the star on the "i" of my logo could sparkle/flash? I know what I want lol just will struggle to put into words lol :icon_wink:

I don't have a huge budget... but I guess it depends on how great the design turns out depends on how flexible I can be lol. I would only need the main page and 1 subpage as I have enough knowledge to put together the other pages myself.

Thanks for reading my waffle. Michael xx

Main HUBsite

Last edited:
Linedance website

Michael

Further to your posted request, what kind of budget are you looking at? We should be able to work to your budget.

Have a look at our portfolio by clicking here: The Set Up You will find several links to websites recently completed.

What you are asking is reasonably straightforward. We can offer you a content managed site with just the first couple of pages set up almost as a template and then you can create the rest - no ribbing guaranteed!

If you want to go through this in more detail, drop me an email: email Angie

I hope to hear from you soon.
with regards
Angie

Hi Michael,
If you could let us know your budget then you will find that you will likely get more responses. Leaving it as an unknown quantity will put a lot of people off from going to the trouble of pitching for the work in case your budget is buttons :)

Hello People,

Thanks for your replies and offers. I don't want to insult anyone... as I've never done this before. I have had 3 professional quotes from different firms here in peterborough and have been quoted 295.00 top end and 200 lowest quote. All of those are way beyond my budget.

I don't make that much money from my classes... so I guess my budget is anywhere from 60.00 upto my highest I'm prepared to pay 100 maybe 150 tops for 2 pages.

Another point to add... I have plenty of webspace, so I wouldn't need you to host it/manage it and I own the domain names. So hopefully that would bring the price down... I'm happy with my logo and would not need that redesigning and have the ttf font.

Thanks again...
Michael x

P.S. Completely away from my brief for a moment... if I wanted something like this:
Example
What kinda money would we be talking? Thanks

Last edited:
Cheap website

Hi, sorry that price is too restrictive for me. You are better off finding a student or similar to sort it out for you. But a word of warning, you tend to get what you pay for, especially with websites as there is a lot to consider with regards SEO and compatibility across browsers and so on. Good luck.

Unfortunately £60 - £150 will get you nothing nowadays, i'd save up some money if I was you and get the job done properly, you get what you pay for and for £150 you won't get much.

The flash in the header of that website you showed as an example probably cost the best part of £150.

Having been to many a line dance evening with friends it's very popular, unfortunately clubs are being closed which is not good, Texas Drovers was a main club down here.

Hmm not being funny but
I would add a zero on the end of your price if you want to put your best foot forward (pardon the pun) for your business.

As for the flash and that other site, grossly overated and very tacky/nasty.

That 100 pounds straight away only becomes 60 by the time corporation tax and other taxes are paid and that will buy you approx 1-2 hours.

If you value your business then you will want to make sure you get something that will last you and portray your dancing in the best light possible. You want to be able to become the best advocate of your site and 150 quid just won't cut it.

Hello All,

Thanks for your replies. Okay considering that the flash header would blow my budget we'll leave that for now. Considering I'm being quoted 295.00 for 1 main page, 4 subpages and hosting... i would of thought 150.00 would be a fair price for 1 main page & 1 subpage and me hosting the site myself surely?

I normally do everything myself through frontpage but I can't find a suitable template to alter and thought a proper web designer may be the solution.

Is my budget really unrealistic?

I've managed to get a quote at the top end of my budget for 149.00 which includes:
3 page website:
- Domain & hosting for 1 year.
- 1 email address
- Basic search engine submission
PRICE £149
Java Dance Company with Daniel Whittaker

Any advice again would be well received. Thanks

Just had a look at the website you specified, and the website says it all. Like I said before, you get what you pay for.

If it's a template you are after, then there a whole range of them out there, but a professional designer will look to charge anything from £600 up for a properly designed and developed website. I would err on the side of caution and allow more if you can. If you pay a professional, you need to pay professional prices and will get a professional result.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but if it is a cheaper solution you need, then stick with the templates you have used before.

Hope that helps...

Having been to many a line dance evening with friends it's very popular, unfortunately clubs are being closed which is not good, Texas Drovers was a main club down here.

Hmm not being funny but
I would add a zero on the end of your price if you want to put your best foot forward (pardon the pun) for your business.

As for the flash and that other site, grossly overated and very tacky/nasty.

That 100 pounds straight away only becomes 60 by the time corporation tax and other taxes are paid and that will buy you approx 1-2 hours.

If you value your business then you will want to make sure you get something that will last you and portray your dancing in the best light possible. You want to be able to become the best advocate of your site and 150 quid just won't cut it.

Hello Kev,

I'm involved differently with linedance... in that I choreograph the linedances that people dance. So the service I offer is attending a day event to teach one of my latest creations. I only currently make enough to cover my expenses as I'm not yet considered a linedance celebrity (yet).

I thought the flashsite was slick and glossy.... consider me told lol.

In your opinion what would be a realistic figure to overhaul the website as described and have a slick/glossy flash header. So I can then save up for it.

Out of curiosity how does the design process work... what if something is designed and I don't like it. Do I then have to pay more to amend it to how I want it to look?

Cheers, Michael

Last edited:
Seeing as you are unable to find a suitable free template, so you are basically wanting a bespoke designed template which is of high quality, seo optimised, specifically tailored and designed for you and your business with a cracking design then you will not find that for 150 quid.
1 page or 1000 pages still going to be the same initial design methods, research, time, design etc...

Hosting is negligable, lots of hostings to choose from depending on budget.
Basic search engine submission price zero so not even worth mentioning.
Email address could be as many as you want with pretty much any hosting.

But if low price is your thing then you will get what you pay for, not all pages are created equal ;)

heheh, like this "I thought the flashsite was slick and glossy.... consider me told lol. "

I have a saying which is kinda a play on words from the old 80s popstar Rick Astley, instead of that site being slick and glossy its more a case of sick and ghastly ;)

Seeing as you are unable to find a suitable free template, so you are basically wanting a bespoke designed template which is of high quality, seo optimised, specifically tailored and designed for you and your business with a cracking design then you will not find that for 150 quid.
1 page or 1000 pages still going to be the same initial design methods, research, time, design etc...

Hosting is negligable, lots of hostings to choose from depending on budget.
Basic search engine submission price zero so not even worth mentioning.
Email address could be as many as you want with pretty much any hosting.

But if low price is your thing then you will get what you pay for, not all pages are created equal ;)

Thanks again Kev,

Looking at the current content of my website... what would be a ballpark figure to bespoke design it to something gorgeous and easily updatable by myself in frontpage. with no hosting/email addresses.. (I have all that with 1and1).

And what sort of timescale would we be looking at?

Thanks again, Michael

Website design process

The process:

Most good designers will continue to work on your project until you are happy with the design. That's because we are confident that what we produce is right.

In theory what you are quoted should be what you get unless you change the brief or your requirements half way through.

I've managed to get a quote at the top end of my budget for 149.00 which includes:
3 page website:
- Domain & hosting for 1 year.
- 1 email address
- Basic search engine submission
PRICE £149
Java Dance Company with Daniel Whittaker

Any advice again would be well received. Thanks

Look at the state of his own website, if the designer cannot get it right for themselves what chance do they have of getting it right for you?

Angie is right and it is an iterative process prior to the end result, which, depending on designer, have different ways they cope with this.
I would say for something bespoke your looking at least 5 days work from concepts to end design,page, xhtml,css which is why it will cost more.
Roughly broken down to 2.5 days design, 1.5 days coding template from design which will work regardless of content.
As for my processes you will need to hire me for that :)
Keep in mind there are lots of steps (again you are completely aware of how many steps it takes in your job ;) (keep on getting those puns in heheh, no offence :) )) in the above to get to the end result.

Back