Can't you just use it off the website......

jo_v_76

Hi guys,

Does anyone have a link or an simple easy to understand version to explain to those who are technically challenged that we need images supplied at 300dpi - I'm fed up with the "why can't you just take it off our website" comment.

And does anyone else find it annoying when you request a logo as an EPS and all they do is throw a rubbish quality jpeg into illustrator and name it an eps....

Any advice would be gratefully recieved - before I tear my hair out :)

thanks

Hi guys,

Does anyone have a link or an simple easy to understand version to explain to those who are technically challenged that we need images supplied at 300dpi - I'm fed up with the "why can't you just take it off our website" comment.

And does anyone else find it annoying when you request a logo as an EPS and all they do is throw a rubbish quality jpeg into illustrator and name it an eps....

Any advice would be gratefully recieved - before I tear my hair out :)

thanks

Great question. Unfortunately I don't have anything. Whilst we are there though another useful resource would be something explaining why a 24mb image taken straight form a digi SLR isn't suitable for a website. :icon_biggrin:

yeah good luck with that, no matter how you spell it out - clients will always give you rubbish files, just think yourself lucky you dont get all your images in a word document! :)

yeah good luck with that, no matter how you spell it out - clients will always give you rubbish files, just think yourself lucky you dont get all your images in a word document! :)

Haha funny you should say that, a recent client just asked me to send him the logo design in a word document? :icon_biggrin:

Ha! I have trained clients to know the difference fortunately. Unfortunatley, I get clients who are complete derps and don't know a thing. I just have to bite my tongue and always explain the difference. Oh well!

Oh yeah, once I had a client who wanted a logo I designed in Illustrator for High Quality sources. Bear in mind I am sending this to a design firm! I send it in EPS format (as you do!) and I get an email back saying 'what am I going to do with this file that I cannot open?!'. Erm, your a designer, figure it out! So they requested a JPEG. Morons!

Thats a great link Dave!

Trying to explain to customers that a web graphic won't cut it for print does get tiring!

Thats the thing - we have minimum artwork requirements and guidelines on my works digital print site - unfortunately people still upload rubbish and expect it to work!

I chuckled reading this as I remember a wesbite I built some 5 years ago for a club. They had all kinds of artwork that they used for their leaflets and such, and I asked for access to it for the website (you know, to create a continuous identity). I asked very specifically for the computer files they used to print the documents.

They sent me a printed (badly) document. So I asked again for the computer file. I got another paper document with a note saying "can't you just scan it?" They weren't paying me much, so I did. And they were very happy with the results!

A couple of weeks ago I was at a local signage place to pick up some vinyl. They also "dabble" in business cards and flyers ... they use one of my main suppliers and I know they are good quality. They threw an absolute hissy fit while I was there when some A6 flyers arrived and one of the images they'd used printed so darkly that you could hardly see it. The guy asked me to look at his design file because he knew it was "perfect" (a so-called graphic designer who was sacked from 3 creative agencies for not being very good and has ended up making text only shop signs). The image in question was 72dpi, RGB, as pixelated as you like and extremely dark. Queue a small lesson from me in image resolution, ink limit, colour mode and using Photoshop to edit / improve images.

So it's not just clients unfortunately.

Back