Brochure Design for Print Advice: URGENT

Words

Hi there,

I'm primarily a logo/website designer, but have just had an offer from one of my regular clients to design them a brochure. I've never done this before, nor had the time to research it in depth, so I'm hoping someone might be able to guide me in the right direction! A few questions:

- Is there an industry standard software for brochure design?

- What sort of time frame should I be aiming for to complete a 6-page brochure design?

- Is there a ballpark figure I should be charging, as an experienced designer but an inexperienced brochure designer?

- What format should the output be presented in? Resolution, colour mode, file type..?

Thanks!

Adobe InDesign is industry standard

If you dont know what youre doing in indesign, its gunna take you longer to produce the finished book. But I would say allow 10 hours actual working time but be aware that no client is easy, they'll come back time after time to make changes an amendments etc so allow an aditional 5 hours or so for pissing about!

What hourly rate do you chage for logo design? charge the same as doing this is taking you away from logo design!

contact the printer and ask what resoulution, format etc he want the book supplying in 300dpi CMYK PDF should be about right. If youre supplying a digital proof to the client, supply a low res 72dpi copy to prevent them running off with your work to have it printed on the cheap and not paying for your time.

Thanks for your reply, bigdave :)

Re pricing structure: Is it advisable to place a fixed fee on the project, or to charge per hour/per page?

I've done a quick bit of Googling, and initial impressions seem to be that a lot of people are charging per page. Is that standard?

Cheers!

Back