Best way to create online 'slideshow'

Paul Murray

Ultimate Member
Howdy,

I'm looking to create a simple website aimed at kids that works sort of like a Powerpoint presentation. The content of the site is a short story that will feature a small paragraph with an accompanying illustration on each 'page'. Ideally I'm looking to create a horizontal layout that has big 'next' and 'back' buttons that smooth scroll to the next 'slide'.

Whilst I've found lots of online presentation sites, they all seem to be based on Flash, which I'd like to avoid if at all possible.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a web application or maybe even a framework that would be suitable? I may end up using Issuu.com and just embedding it into a page but the UI doesn't look very 'kid friendly' so any alternative suggestions are appreciated.

Ta!

Cheers for the replies. I think WP could be slight overkill for what I need.

I've managed to find a jQuery template that I can edit. I'd like to do it from scratch so it can go in my portfolio but I lack the time and knowledge so it's gonna be a bit of a hack job.

Cheers guys.

Cheers for the replies. I think WP could be slight overkill for what I need.

I've managed to find a jQuery template that I can edit. I'd like to do it from scratch so it can go in my portfolio but I lack the time and knowledge so it's gonna be a bit of a hack job.

Cheers guys.

I think ulitmately having something like WP would save a fair bit of time and trouble - after ftp it's only a 5 min install and then all you have to do is modify the html and css which you have to do anyway on any site you're creating.

I think ulitmately having something like WP would save a fair bit of time and trouble - after ftp it's only a 5 min install and then all you have to do is modify the html and css which you have to do anyway on any site you're creating.

Using WP would give me a lot of options I didn't need. I really didn't want to start modifying the template/css since I was on a tight deadline.

Anyway, I used a script/template that I found and managed to knock this up in a few days (it's a bit rough around the edges but I pretty much lost the will to work on it towards the end).

The Story of Maharajah the Manchester Elephant

It could do with refining but I'm sick of looking at it now so it'll stay how it is for now.

My tutor thought it was a bit too plain and said I could have had it done the week prior and been working on something else for my brief. She obviously didn't 'get' the amount of work that actually went into this.

This is snazzy! this is the kind of thing I want to learn to do so I can make fancy placeholders for websites i never get round to finishing :p

EDIT: also i know where your coming from. my tutor would say exactly the same, sometimes they have no idea what work goes into stuff. But i just dont bother with stuff like this for now, our degree seems to be all about concept at the moment not technical execution. which could be seen as good or bad depending on your inclinations.

Yeah, your work there looks good Paul.
My tutors weren't overly mad on the technical side of things either, concepts, all the time.

Back