Best Way of Testing Plugins

bsugar

Hi,

I had to disable a plugin because I suspected it was conflicting with the function of my main menu. As soon as I disabled it the website got infected. Nightmare situation!!! Now I have a lovely red warning notice at my website o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Can anyone advise as to how to go about testing plugins if there is conflict in future? How can I test the plugin but at the same time keep the website secure. Does this mean that anytime I suspect a plugin conflict I have to copy the website to a test URL or staging area and do it there. I suspect the answer is yes and if so can anyone point me to a useful video or link that shows how to do this?

Also, is anyone aware of any quick and inexpensive way of cleaning the website so that I can get the red Google notice removed. Is the virus scanner in Cpanel any good at all. Has anyone used it. It is missing from my Cpanel so I am going to get my webhost to add it. Webhosts seem to deliberately omit the virus scanner from the Cpanels that they offer, I wonder why. Is it possibly because it prevents them from making more money for themselves????, hmmm :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Any feedback is greatly appreciate o_Oo_Oo_O

The plugin will not have infected the website. There is something else happening to cause the warning.

What was the plugin?

What is the warning?

As to testing, create a sub domain on your site and use a duplication plugin tool to copy the site. It usually only takes a few minutes to set up. If you are not confident about doing this there are plenty of Wordpress developers that can help.

These two are used to test the plugins-

1. OptinMonster is the best lead generationPlugin
2. Monsterinsights

Thanks
<link removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
The plugin will not have infected the website. There is something else happening to cause the warning.

What was the plugin?

What is the warning?

As to testing, create a sub domain on your site and use a duplication plugin tool to copy the site. It usually only takes a few minutes to set up. If you are not confident about doing this there are plenty of Wordpress developers that can help.

Thanks for taking the time to respond Fisicx. :giggle:

I didn't think it was the plugin that caused the infection, I thought it was due to the fact that I disabled it for a few minutes to test it. The plugin was Bullet Proof Security. I cannot remember the exact message but it was something like "are you sure you want to proceed. Attackers might be trying to trick you etc, etc. My host later confirmed that the site was not infected but that the site dosen't have an SSL cert (GoDaddy do not provide them unless you transfer your domain name to them and my domain company won't transfer) in the meantime there is no SSL cert for the site. Is there a way around this that you know of?

Thanks again

These two are used to test the plugins-

1. OptinMonster is the best lead generationPlugin
2. Monsterinsights

Thanks
<link removed>

Great stuff man. Thank you. Would I have to copy the website and use these plugins on the test website or can I use them directly on the main website itself

You need an SSL. Don’t use godaddy. Use UK host. The one I have automatically adds an SSL to every domain.

The two options provider by @stephenandpaul won’t help. You need to test on your site.

Back