Bad Designer

Baddesigner

In this era of social distancing, all of us need to blow off some steam. Bad Designer is seeking brief essays/rants about terrible design. Seen something awful? Abominable? Tell us about it. Submissions are open. Give us your worst.

This is a great idea - thanks for sharing your site. If I come up against anything I will definitely post it.

How does it work? Is it anonymous?

If you write a critique of the design of Bad Designer, there is an almost 100% chance that we will publish it. I'd love to run pieces like that as a reoccurring feature.
The problem is you have made it difficult to submit anything. There are loads of ways with wordpress to submit user generated content content without using email. You could then moderate and publish.

However....

You could have a problem with litigation - someone could take offence at the review (especially if it gets indexed and ranked) - and take legal action. This has happened in the past and the review site in question was taken down.

The problem is you have made it difficult to submit anything. There are loads of ways with wordpress to submit user generated content content without using email. You could then moderate and publish.

However....

You could have a problem with litigation - someone could take offence at the review (especially if it gets indexed and ranked) - and take legal action. This has happened in the past and the review site in question was taken down.

Are we talking about incorrect factual information or someones opinion that caused the site to be taken down? You are entitled to express an opinion for example saying you don't like the taste of McDonalds burgers is OK. Saying that their burgers contain wood shavings could get you into trouble unless it's actually true. Although if solicitors start writing then a lot of website owners are going to take the content down whether they are in the right or wrong.

Are we talking about incorrect factual information or someones opinion that caused the site to be taken down?
It was a bit of both. Someone reviewed a website and made a factual statement that the information on the site was wrong and using their service could cause harm. The company took exception to this and threatened court action as it was hurting their business. The owners of the site realised they were open to all sorts of litigation and closed it down.

The big review sites get away with it because they have lots of money to defend their business in court.

If you make sure it’s humorous, tongue-in-cheek, you are more likely to get away with it, as humour and satire are exempt from libel and slander laws, to the best of my knowledge..

Back