Aspiring Graphic Designers interested in Motorcycle Racing

GEkerold

Hi All

I'm looking for an aspiring graphics designer who has an interest in motorcycle racing (specifically MotoGP/WSBK) to work with me on a project I'm currently trying to get off the ground. Until such time as it's up and running, this wont be a paid role, hence the need for an intrinsic interest in the the type of project. I'm hoping you could use it as part of your Uni course work or just generally to build up your portfolio of work. It definitely could lead to paid work in the future. The specific type of work would cover renderings of workshop facilities (possibly even animated fly though of actual 3D workshop facilities) , motorcycle livery designs / race truck liveries / overall presentation design etc. If you're interested please reply and we can discuss how the relationship might work. Cheers Gary

The specific type of work would cover renderings of workshop facilities (possibly even animated fly though of actual 3D workshop facilities)
Do you know how much time something like that would actually take and would likely cost to have done professionally in the UK..... lets put it this way, something like that would cost well into 4 figures per workshop...

I know you say there's no pay involved, which I'm not a fan of in the first place (you wouldn't ask a plumber to do your bathroom for free with the 'chance' of payment later), but that's asking too much imo.

Hi Levi. I appreciate your point of view. That’s why I was very clear that this is not for someone who makes their living from doing design work. This is for someone who wants to do it for the prospect of being involved in a project that they have a passion for. Or needs to do some sort of course work for Uni. This request is not for professional designers. I appreciate that I may get what I pay (or don’t pay) for but I’m hoping there’s a talent out there that wants to demonstrate their capabilities.

Hi Levi. I appreciate your point of view. That’s why I was very clear that this is not for someone who makes their living from doing design work. This is for someone who wants to do it for the prospect of being involved in a project that they have a passion for. Or needs to do some sort of course work for Uni. This request is not for professional designers. I appreciate that I may get what I pay (or don’t pay) for but I’m hoping there’s a talent out there that wants to demonstrate their capabilities.
You probably don't know this but this site is primarily made up of professional designers who do this work for a living...

If I'm being completely honest and from a personal perspective, I find it insulting as a designer that people try to get any level of work, even more so with the 3D stuff as it's my area of expertise, done for free, whether it's done by someone at uni or 'my personal favourite' to build up our portfolios.

You may think you're the only person asking for 'free work' but the fact is that design services are the most heavily requested sector for 'free work'... people don't expect plumbers, mechanics, even shop workers to do the work for free but somehow it's perfectly ok to ask people to do design work for free or with the promise of payment later down the line...... we don't need to buy food or anything this month....

Not to mention the software we use isn't cheap, even more so in the 3D design sector (they make adobe software look cheap), doing 'free' work would actually end up costing us money... most 3D programs cost thousands per year to use now (stupid subscription model).

OK understood. Apologies if i offended you. Ill remove the post and go and look for a more appropriate forum. However all you’ve really managed to achieve is deny someone who might want to do it the opportunity. That’s a real shame for them and myself. Doesn’t really help you though, does it.

However all you’ve really managed to achieve is deny someone who might want to do it the opportunity.
I am completely with Levi. If you want professional services ands skills, you don’t have, by definition that has value and to my mind you need to pay some money for it. Granted, you should pay according to experience and ability, but pay something. Find some money. I am sure your business venture has other expenses you have to pay actual cash for. Why should this be any different?

It is not really much of an opportunity for someone. To my mind, it verges on exploitation. The only one who would be gaining is you.

Also, simply removing the thread doesn’t change the issue. This is an endemic trend in the design field and people should realise, that it is simply not ethical to ask people to work for free.

I’d vote to leave this thread in place so it makes at least a small contribution to helping to change this attitude.

Designers can choose to offer to work for free for causes they believe in. That’s fine, but to ask them to do it for something that will ultimately be a commercial venture is wrong, to my mind.

Can you tell, it gets up my nose! This is not personal. I just don’t think it should become an accepted norm.

Yes, you’ve made it quite clear that you think I’ve asked something that I shouldn’t of. I would appear to have walked into something here that I hadn’t anticipated. Companies offer (unpaid) work experience for students all the time, so I’m not sure how unethical my request is. Anyway leave it / remove it. Up to you. You’ve made your point.

I resolved your request for the deletion and don't see any need to to be honest.

I want to be clear - this type of work is sought after by hobbyist and students - so I appreciate you taking the time to explain the project and who it is aimed at.

Although, we are primarily a functioning professional graphic designery typey forum - there's room for everyone.

Good luck in your search - I'll leave the thread as it is - and if anyone is interested they will be in touch.

Thanks

I think even students would expect to be paid a bit at least, specially as it sounds like quite a lot of work. Could you make do with artist's impressions instead of the 3D renderings (presuming this hasn't been built yet)?
In which case you would need an illustration student maybe. Or go the opposite way and find a semi retired designer who is into bikes to partner with, at least then the quality of work would be better. The risk of using a student
is that you may not be happy with the quality of their work.

Actually, you might get a better response the other route - go on a bike forum and find someone who is also a student/designer, or knows one.

Hey Gary, welcome to the forums. :)

I'd totally ask on a big bike forum as I feel you'd have more chance of getting someone who has a total passion for MotoGP who is also an aspiring or hobbyist 3D Artist/Designer than finding a pro on here that is into bikes to that degree.
I'm on a few car and bike FB groups and people will often help out with doing Ps mock-ups and stuff like that as they get to play around with something they're really in to and also show off their killer skills to the other members. ;)
It's usually pretty amateurish but hey?

Thing is where you may struggle is the size of the ask as it's no small undertaking and looks like a HUGE amount of work.
You need to consider what they are getting out of this as well.

You'll have to excuse the slightly negative reaction and I do mean "slightly negative".
We as professionals are constantly being asked to work on other peoples projects for free both individually and also on the forums as a collective and it starts to wear a bit thin.
So much in fact that you start to see the formula:

Big job + Work for free > Portfolio/Exposure + Chance of paid work in the future.

Generally, this is a very helpful place.
Members will take a great deal of time giving advice, critiquing peoples work, helping with technical issues and even finding and naming that elusive font but I really think you are asking in the wrong place.

I genuinely hope you do find someone with the skills that shares you're passion.

Back