Archive Storage

dewinterAgency

Hi
We have 10 years worth of archived projects siting on an external HD that the team can easily access in the office and gets backed up to cloud.

We're giving up the office (for now) and working from home and want to get rid of the external HD part of the process and just store it all online. Intrigued as to what others do with their archive material. I've looked at Google Drive which I think might work - £7 per month for 2TB

Look forward to your thoughts and feedback

Cheers

Stu

We just use a Synology NAS drive with internet access for all that need it.

We have way over 2TB of data so don't want to be paying a monthly fee which will increase as time goes on.

Thanks for that. I have looked at NAS drives before, do you back it up though? ie. do you have two drives that mirror each other incase one goes down or do you have to then pay extra to back it up (if you want to have it backed up for peace of mind)? Which effectively is the cost for online google drive or similar.

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers

Stu

Thanks for that. I have looked at NAS drives before, do you back it up though? ie. do you have two drives that mirror each other incase one goes down or do you have to then pay extra to back it up (if you want to have it backed up for peace of mind)? Which effectively is the cost for online google drive or similar.

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers

Stu
Most NAS need to be configured in a redundant raid setup so that if one (or more) drives fail you can rebuild the array.

In the case of synology (and others) you can actually set it to back up to another location, either an online service or another nas at another location (if all working from home, you could have 2 people with a nas each) to give you more peace of mind in terms of securing your data.

You can access the synology via ftp (or vpn if you want to go fancy) from external locations as well.

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers

Stu
Yeah we have it in Raid and it's a 4 bay unit, so it always backs-up, drives can be swapped out if they fail while the unit is running, although none ever have and it gets hammered daily.

Yeah we have it in Raid and it's a 4 bay unit, so it always backs-up, drives can be swapped out if they fail while the unit is running, although none ever have and it gets hammered daily.
Touch wood, you know sods law now you've said it :p

Ideally you want a 5 or even 6 bay these days, especially if you go with bigger drives, hell some are saying that isn't even enough to deal with parity errors etc....
It's part of the reason I also have blu ray backups too.

I've got my own server. Not the cheapest way to do things but it means I can set up client areas to store documents, demos and any other junk I want to keep safe. Host backsup daily so all pretty secure.

I've got my own server. Not the cheapest way to do things but it means I can set up client areas to store documents, demos and any other junk I want to keep safe. Host backsup daily so all pretty secure.
you can do all that on a synology to be fair and is likely a lot easier to manage/maintain etc.....

you can do all that on a synology to be fair and is likely a lot easier to manage/maintain etc.....
Indded, but my requirements are slightly different. I host client websites - which pays for the server. I also use it for emails and software development.

Indded, but my requirements are slightly different. I host client websites - which pays for the server. I also use it for emails and software development.
all of which can be done on the synology believe it or not, albeit on your home connection which would be a bit slower. Maybe not running the software but it had got app support for a coding tool last time I checked.

Back