Another Pricing Question!

TheNoone

I have landed myself a really good job, For the company i mentioned once before.
Sherwood Agencies.

Anyway this particular project is a half page (A4) magazine ad.
In this case i have gone all out and me and my Future Uni tutor agree
it is to a high professional standard, even though im still an amateur.

I have presented this to my employer, and they want to get it in the magazine immediately.
It was a quick meeting so he couldnt really discuss much

I just wanted to know, what are people charging for this type of work?
Iv spent around 10 hours working on this to just get it right, and it will be published in 3 different mags
Hence i dont want to be undercharged, due to my inexperience
but at the same time dont want to quote something they will laugh at.

Help Please guys!:icon_wink:

Well congratulations, I pleased it's going well.

The thing is in a commercial world 10 hours for a magazine advert would probably be laughed at I'm sorry to say. Well definitely in my experience anyway. Maybe if you were working for a multi million pound organisation, yeah fair enough.

I have worked on plenty of adverts in my time so far. Majority for a big housing developer across the south of England. So the adverts have appeared time and time again. The most we could have hoped to charge for a new advert is 3 hours. As for your cost per hour depends on your experience and where you work. If it is and agency then it will 2 to 3 times of a freelancer, roughly (obviously there are is world of different variations).

A couple of agencies in the south west I have worked for or deal with base their costs at £65 - £75 per hour. This is due to overheads and the fact that a few in the business have to pay for many. As a freelancer you should be very flexible as when freelancing you need to work around budgets a bit more than and agency as you would not have the overheads, but are also not offering the same standard of service, maybe quality but not service. I don't know any freelancers that charge more than £35 and hour-ish, but then again I don't know all freelancers.

I hope that helps. Good luck anyway.

Cheers
Rich

Is it something that will make them money aswell? Because if its of a good standard then they'll probably be more willing to pay more.

I'd come up with an hourly rate for the 10 hours (aries on experience, quality of work etc.) But without seeing it I doubt anybody could make an accurate judgement, but I'd say between £15-£30 an hour.

See what others think as well because I haven't had experience of working for a company as I started as a freelancer.
:icon_thumbup:

Yep, I get where you are coming from, but unfortunately it doesn't work like that. Pretty much all advertising is geared to making money.

Well congratulations, I pleased it's going well.

The thing is in a commercial world 10 hours for a magazine advert would probably be laughed at I'm sorry to say. Well definitely in my experience anyway. Maybe if you were working for a multi million pound organisation, yeah fair enough.

The time spent. also included the photography, which also included rigging up a make shift whitescreen.

But i pulled it off. Iv decided £18 is a fair price, Dont want to be too greedy in my early days.

Cheers:icon_thumbup:

haha an hour. The Director has just got back to me, asking for minor edits, on company details etc.
So im very pleased. Ive nearly earnt a bag of sand in the last few weeks
which has all gone into my uni savings account.

So bring on the good times!

All the best with it anyway. And one word of advice, get as much work experience as you can in an agency. Learn how to artwork and specifications for print. If you know all about that and you can mock up well you good a great grounding for a job afterwards.

Obviously being creative helps but the basics are essential.

Good luck,

Rich

Back