Animation to add foiling / metallic shine effect to poster

oodya

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can help? I currently sell foiled posters and was wondering what the best way to add some effects to my prints.

I have various foil colours (gold, rose gold, silver etc) and although I have added a foil effect to the image, I was hoping to make a small animation file which looks as though the reflection is going across the entire print (if that makes sense). So it is like a mini video showing the metallic shine of the print from maybe the top left corner, going through to the bottom right.

I have attached a sample image.

If anyone can suggest any ideas, that would be great.

Thank you

Attachments

• change-your-thoughts-and-you'll-change-your-world-1.jpg
    change-your-thoughts-and-you'll-change-your-world-1.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 3
Maybe if you were to have the text on a layer above the frame and then make that into a mask you could set up a metallic gradient behind that and animate it moving across to give the effect of a changing, metallic sheen?
If you made the beginning and end point the same, or a reversal then you could set it to be a looping gif.

I tend to use After Effects for any animation but I guess you could make something in Photoshop.

This pretty much explains how to do it with photoshop.

I am trying to do the following, but not having much luck with Illustrator actions. I have an example image and a gold foil effect. I make a clipping mask. I then record an action. Within this action, I release the clipping mask, move the god foil effect 10 points to the right (to give it a slightly different effect), then make the clipping mask, save as JPEG and so on (until the gradient gets to the end and then move it back again).

From here, I am hoping to create maybe 40 jpeg files so it shows a nice flow of the gradient. I would then go to my Photoshop mockup, create an action, place the first foiled image as a smart object, save it, go to the same mockup, place the second image, save it etc. FInally I would get some software to make a mini video which I think will work.

The only problem that I have is that when I create the action in Illustrator (then run it to test), it seems to be moving my actual image file with the gradient (as opposed to the gradient only). Having the gradient move only would help me as I have multiple files that are the same size that I would like to add the foiling effect to.

Would anyone be able to help / advise?

Thank you.

Maybe if you were to have the text on a layer above the frame and then make that into a mask you could set up a metallic gradient behind that and animate it moving across to give the effect of a changing, metallic sheen?
If you made the beginning and end point the same, or a reversal then you could set it to be a looping gif.

I tend to use After Effects for any animation but I guess you could make something in Photoshop.

Hello, that seems to be working perfectly. Thank you so much for that. Really appreciate it. Just one final question. So I've ended up with around 150 jpegs (which includes the reversal of the shine as well). What would be the best way for me to make a small video for this? Any ideas?

Hello, that seems to be working perfectly. Thank you so much for that. Really appreciate it. Just one final question. So I've ended up with around 150 jpegs (which includes the reversal of the shine as well). What would be the best way for me to make a small video for this? Any ideas?
Well videos are basically just a lot of images one after another, so if it was me I'd stick them in a video editor in order and then export to a video with framerate, resolution, format etc of choice.

There also seems to be some specific 'tools' out there that do this too, quick google showed makeavi is supposed to do this.

Thank you for your response. So I am using Video Editor that is part of Windows 10 (from what I can see). My file dimensions are 2000 pixels x 2000 pixels, 300 pixels/inch.

However, when I attempt to view the video on my phone, it looks really small (about 50% of the screen). Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

I have attached the file for your reference.

Thank you - I am nearly there!

Attachments

• gradient file.jpg
    gradient file.jpg
    737.6 KB · Views: 1

What format are you exporting the video to?

Not sure what could be happening on your phone. :unsure:

Have you tried exporting as a .gif?

The file size should be much smaller.

It really does sound like an export issue or a phone scaling issue rather than anything else imo.

Have you checked to see if the phone hasn't set it to '50%' scaling when watching it?

What phone etc too might be useful to know as well.

It looked as though it was a scaling issue. It all works perfectly on Instagram. Thank you all so much for all the help. Really appreciate it.

Back