advice suggestions to improve logo

fubar

Hi
I have made a logo in MS Publisher (hangs head in shame) but I have 0 skills in Graphic Design and looking for suggestions to improve my planned logo and make it scalable for letterhead, busines card etc, what software would you recomend to improve my idea (ideally free) i have to go the free route as i was made redundant last week and diagnosed 2 - 3 days later with a serious health issue but rather than curl up in a ball feeling sorry for myself I have decided to give self emplyment a go (too old to learn a new trade) nearly 35 years in Telecoms so its a trade I know and enjoy (sometimes lol)

Any help and advise would be appreciated.

Attachments

• installaphone2.jpg
    installaphone2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 13
Where it clearly says install a phone it could easily be seen as installaph.ne.

However that's a stretch .

Inkscape is free and plenty of tutorials online.

Jpg is no good for logo
Save as eps or ai
Look up difference between vector and raster

The logo is good keep it two color and black with spot color red pantone 186
You can look that up too.

Best of luck, and hope you get well soon.

I'd play around with your choice of font's and their weight (example try a bolder font on the company name) but keep the sans serif style (don't just stick to the built in windows ones), there are plenty of free options out there from places like google fonts.

I don't personally like the way the red line transitions from the dot to the 'wire', it's cutting through the text and to me looks a bit out of place. I'd look at reshaping the e so it 'extends' into the wire (with a small gap to change colours) instead.

I'd also look at the design at different sizes, the sub text might get too small when it's shrunk down to say business card size.

Thanks guys your feedback is apreciated, I will checkout inkscape, I, thinkiing about a slight change with the name like install-a-phone and maybe make the line slightly thicker too, also rather than it turning at right angles maybe a curve back, i did think about just having it as text only but thought it looked naff so added a a bit of colour.

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time.

I think the biggest mistake people make when trying to design their own logo when they're not designers is to try to do something too clever. Remember, K.I.S.S! Simple is best. You can always add a simplified squiggle to the line
but I would worry it looks too medical.

Also, font choice is very important, and one of the downsides of using something like Publisher is lack of font choice. I just did this very quickly to show the advantage of keeping things simple and finding a nice smart font.
Maybe you could look for a free month's subscription with something like Illustrator so you have the right tools at your disposal?

Attachments

• Installaphone copy.jpg
    Installaphone copy.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 8
Sorry to hear you're having a rough time.

I think the biggest mistake people make when trying to design their own logo when they're not designers is to try to do something too clever. Remember, K.I.S.S! Simple is best. You can always add a simplified squiggle to the line
but I would worry it looks too medical.

Also, font choice is very important, and one of the downsides of using something like Publisher is lack of font choice. I just did this very quickly to show the advantage of keeping things simple and finding a nice smart font.
Maybe you could look for a free month's subscription with something like Illustrator so you have the right tools at your disposal?
Damn it Wardy your not supposed to come up with a design that is basically better than mine lol

I like that you have kept it simple, basically text based and kept to just the 2 colours so should keep the cost down when it comes to printing, the more i look at your idea the more i think "why did I complicate things" the squiggle was supposed to be a sound wave but i couldnt even get that right lol as you said KISS, in telecoms i could make a call do a dance around the place before it reaches its final destination but same rule applies Keep It Simple Stupid.

As to having a rough time Im just waiting to be told if its a long or short waiting game :-( but just what you dont need to hear when just made redundant, talk about being kicked while your down lol
by the way what font is that.

Damn it Wardy your not supposed to come up with a design that is basically better than mine lol

I like that you have kept it simple, basically text based and kept to just the 2 colours so should keep the cost down when it comes to printing, the more i look at your idea the more i think "why did I complicate things" the squiggle was supposed to be a sound wave but i couldnt even get that right lol as you said KISS, in telecoms i could make a call do a dance around the place before it reaches its final destination but same rule applies Keep It Simple Stupid.

As to having a rough time Im just waiting to be told if its a long or short waiting game :-( but just what you dont need to hear when just made redundant, talk about being kicked while your down lol
by the way what font is that.
Remember 2 colour could be quite expensive when coming to NCR Pads for installation and copies.
Plus invoices printed in black and white will keep costs down.

You can get a large print run of colour invoices done, which would be cheap, then insert it into your printer to print off the invoice costs.

So remember - to come up with an uncomplicated 1 colour version too.

It could also keep costs down for embroidery, t-shirts etc.

Back