Advice on leading boss to better printing choices

EnergonWaffles

day. Hi! Waffles here!

So I have a question...how do yall feel about large brochures and cards for advertisements?

I love where I currently work, and my boss is a wonder boss and usually just let's me work....the one area we do not see eye to eye on is his philosophy is "bigger is always better." "I love that design - make it BIGGER!"

I am....not...in that camp. I honestly find it grating when I see a huge brochure that clearly doesn't have the content to justify that amount of space. Plus, with cards I prefer to stick to sizes that can fit in wallets or purses, cause aint nobody hauling around a 10 x 6 card all day.

However, going through my mail, I've noticed that many companies seem to follow the same idea my boss has. I think the funniest was a few weeks ago when I was grumbling about having to increase the size of a brochure while sorting mail, and picked up a ginormous Comcast ad that mustve been 18 x 12, purple, and had a tiny blurb of text in the center.

So any mor seasoned designers in print have thoughts on this? Is bigger better for advertisements, and I need to just swallow my personal preference and let it go?

Back