A New Client. A New Approach. What steps are to be taken for a Brand Identity Revamp by the designer to ensure things go smoothly?

atjgraphics

Hello

I wanted to know how do other designers work when a new client approaches them and what steps do they take to make sure of financial earnings and clear communication between the designer and client? And to make sure things go smoothly.

Do you ask questions and what type? Do you sit with the client and ask them to send you screenshots eg? What is your approach?

So, for example, let's say Jill owns a hair salon company and needs a new brand identity for her salon. She approaches Jack, a graphic designer who works from home.
Jill met him at a networking event and starts to work with her.
What steps shall Jack take from here?

A little story to get you started :D.

Get a contract signed, take a deposit, agree milestone payments. The contract should detail the exact specifications of what is required. I tend to talk on the phone with clients to understand their business. This gives me an idea about the needs of their customers (which is more important than the needs of the client).

Good point about the customer needs rather than the client needs.

I get so nervous talking over the phone and feel that I could never do that.
It's a little safer to have everything in writing though isn't it?

Thanks

I get so nervous talking over the phone and feel that I could never do that.
It's a little safer to have everything in writing though isn't it?
A 5 minute convo can save you a whole load of emails. Once you understand the job you can document everything and get them to agree.

I posted a tender on this forum, spoke to @Paul Murray where we bounced a few ideas back and forth and he then delivered exactly what I needed. If we had tried to do the same by email the job would never have got done.

I too hate speaking on the phone, but it's also a good way of getting to know someone a little better. It's one thing to be able to complete a job, but if you get on well with a client also it makes future interactions that little bit easier, especially if you need to discuss an issue or have a minor disagreement about something. An email can be misread in a number of ways due to a lack of tone of voice, but a phone conversation prevents that.

A phone call is good to make initial contact and introductions etc, but I always insist on a written brief via email.
That way I have something to refer to all the time and also serves as an informal contract in case of any quibbles etc
further down the line.

Back