10 commandments of good design, explain?

Design dense

Hey, i'm new to this forum,

I have recently started doing a graphic design course and was hit with Dieter Rams 10 commandments of good design. Since i am studying in isolation i have no-one to talk to and bounce ideas off of in terms of understanding different aspects of this course. I would love to hear other designers and aspiring designers opinions of these commandments, whether they are still relevant today? there wider meaning? how important is it for me to commit these to memory?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

This isn't how it works, this is a course project and it's obviously asking for your views on them, now we're happy to discuss it with you but you need to put in the effort first.

It isn't actually for a course project, i haven't been asked to record my own thoughts and turn them in or anything. I'm wondering if these commandments are still relevant in todays graphic design market with the advancement of technology or difficult clients trying to control every detail of their briefs? I feel that they are good general rules to follow in the creation of any design, but i can only talk about them from a student perspective where they help me to think in detail about how to design my course briefs where my level of experience might be lacking. Maybe referring to them as a design cheat sheet would be more accurate, whereby if your designs adhere as closely to all of the 10 as possible then you have achieved pure zen design.

I guess i wanted to hear how much people who currently work in the industry think and use these principles on a day to day basis, do you get to a stage where everything becomes second nature and they take a back seat or are they as relevant today as they have ever bean?

I think they're just as relevant now as they've always been, especially with the advent of digital interfaces and new platforms for design. A lot of companies seem to be going backwards with regards to unobtrusive and understandable design, Apple surprisingly being one. Last time I used iTunes I couldn't figure out how to play just a single song and things that used to be obvious are now hidden away behind tabs or in menus. Google are another, they were praised for the simplicity of their interfaces but I'm finding a lot of the current iterations of their app interfaces (such as the calendar app) to be lacking in many areas.

Back