Your thoughts as a designer

dhuiewn62

Hi, im a first year BA graphic design student in south London, currently seeking some primary research for my essay based of the participatory culture we live in. I have five questions which i would be honored if any designers or curators for your company would be kind enough to help me out and answer these questions below based on this topic.

Questions

1.What is the main role and purpose of a graphic designer?

2. Are you fore or against the public contributing to any design media contents?and why?

3. How has the role of a graphic designer changed over time from clients wants and needs ? (e.g creating user design tools and templates ).

4.Have you ever created a participatory design for a client? if so at what stages of the design process were participants involved? and what impact did this have towards the outcome?

5. How can designers lead the new breed of widely distributed amateur creatives rather than be overrun by them?

join in more and we'll be more prepared to help out with your questions.

It's a shame they don't get you to uni goers to utilise design communities for anything other than to answer a few questions. I would love to see our critique vs that of a tutor on the same piece of work and see which one was more accurate and useful to the student.

Sean Lee-Amies said:
It's a shame they don't get you to uni goers to utilise design communities for anything other than to answer a few questions. I would love to see our critique vs that of a tutor on the same piece of work.
Ohhh the arguments I had with my tutors over this very point. Tutors know best in their own little world. It didn't matter who critiqued my work online and said it was good or bad or whatever my tutor always disagreed with it anyway.

That would be funny.... if you weren't paying for a premium service. I wonder how this situation came to be. Tutors usual ego's aside, it worries me that there is such a large divide between the working professionals and the people that teach the profession.

Sean Lee-Amies said:
That would be funny.... if you weren't paying for a premium service. I wonder how this situation came to be. Tutors usual ego's aside, it worries me that there is such a large divide between the working professionals and the people that teach the profession.
All of mine were just bitter. Those who fail to make it in the industry teach...and then resent everyone else in the industry. Or so they say.

Yeah I've heard that all too often, but that's like saying all police are morally corrupt thugs. There must be some out there that actually got into teaching because they want to teach, not just to pay the bills because they couldn't cut it in their industry. I'd love to sit some design tutors and actual graphic designers down together one day and have a big old conversation about it all...!

Back