Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Text Editor

Discussion in 'General Software & Hardware Forum:' started by glenwheeler, Dec 26, 2009.

1. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

Hi Guys,

I am just wondering what people use as thier text editor for CSS, PHP & HTML etc etc. I am sure I saw a thread about this but I cant find it. Any feedback would be great, I currently use notepad ++ but am looking for something that would help me out abit more with shortcuts to adding code etc.

2. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

notepad++ here.

3. smultron here :)

4. allyally2k

allyally2k Senior Member

I'm using text wrangler. I got lads of cool books for xmas including css ref guide and html guide that will hopefully help me learn more woohoo!!

5. Harry

Harry Senior Member

Notepad++ has coding shortcuts aplenty! Ctrl+Enter and Ctrl+Space, Ctrl+Shift+Up/Ctrl+Shift+Down, Ctrl+D and so on… experiment!

6. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

7. glenwheeler

I am guessing you use ++ Harry?

8. HippySunshine

HippySunshine Senior Member

Notepad ++

9. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

10. Harry

Harry Senior Member

Indeed :)

11. glenwheeler

wicked! Ill take another look bruv!

12. Alex L

Alex L Senior Member

13. glenwheeler

Oohhh I looked at Aptana....it bothered the hell outta me so I got rid of it...its like that AOL software you get when you sign up with AOL as your ISP. It has sooo much stuff that it totally not needed that slows the software down. And it seems stuff is just thrown in just for the fun!

14. Alex L

Alex L Senior Member

Yeah, it is a little bloated but it covers all my needs and it's free.

15. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Coffeecup here.
    It's free and the basic version allows you to edit code actually on the server in real time, I think, so no need to upload the file after.

I haven't used it so can't vouch for it myself. But the free versions pretty good IMO. :)

16. glenwheeler

Is working real time a good thing?...It has it's downside I reckon..

17. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

That it does, but it's good for quick changes like changing title elements and meta description things like that. Don't use it tbh but may be handy in some circumstances. :)

18. Rhonda

Rhonda Senior Member

Yep, Notepad here too. And Jaza, I might take a look at Coffeecup I think. You think it'd be okay for a novice?:)

19. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

I'm just after np++ with the html5 tags being shown in a respective colour rather than black :)

20. Hoxxy

Hoxxy Junior Member

I've tried others but found Notepad++ to be the best for my needs and brain functionality ..:D