Your Social Media Choices

Jimlad

So many social/blogging websites exist to let us gush forth our digital output, creative or otherwise, to anyone who wants to look.
Facebook, Twitter, Behance, Carbonmade, Dribbble, Flickr, Dropr, Instagram, Blogger, Wordpress, LinkedIn... the list is endless. And most of us are on at least one of them. These are mine, main ones in bold:
  • Facebook - For social silliness and posting work.
  • Twitter - Less social, more posting work.
  • Dropr - Used as an online portfolio.
  • LinkedIn - Starting to use this more.
  • Carbonmade - Used to use it, but it's limited.
  • Behance - Rarely used.
  • Blogger - Dead, hoping to revive.
  • DeviantART - Sometimes put work up, not very active.
  • Instagram - Finally gave in, posted a bunch of stuff then stopped.
As someone who's interested in expanding and optimising my online presence and making the most out of these kinds of websites from a professional standpoint, I'd be interested to know which ones you're on, and which ones are your favourite or most updated? Do you just use Facebook and Twitter? Is one for work and one for fun? Do you make effective use of a selection of sites or do you join every new site that starts up but rarely update them? What are you trying to achieve with your social media choices?

you forgot google+... just obvious use in my opinion seeing as it's linked to google and well google pretty much rules search so it's all going into their mix for the search results

I forgot quite a few Levi, I keep thinking of them! If I keep going back and adding them it'll turn into a massive list though. Must admit, I've never used Google+... could be time I did. Is that the one you use most?

Can't say I really use any of them at the moment, I am planning to start a little when I get my site finished (waits for Sean to comment....) but the most obvious ones for me seem to be like a blog (wordpress say), facebook, twitter and google+.
I'll likely have a facebook page and google+ page (they'll be pretty much identical in terms of content to each other and my website lol), might use twitter but not sure what I'd stick on it because my work is usually under nda, got the same issues with google+ and facebook. I do kind of like the idea of using pinterest though, it has back linking and it's pretty much just images and with us being designers, images seem to sell us more than words do.
LinkedIn to me seems more 'business to business', flickr and other 'image based sites' seem to lack any real seo bonuses and then you have things like pinterest and I suppose reddit which are both basically a way to 'pin' links and images to a central page.
You mentioned blogger, another google service but I can see that being closed down if I'm honest and google pushing google+ as it's replacement.

I'm in the same boat as Levi, once my site is all up and sorted I plan to push it all a lot more. Levi, make a post and let's see what you've got so far on your new website :) I'm probably going to explore pinterest and google+, and push twitter and LinkedIn a bit more.

The only ones I use on a regular basis are:
Wordpress (my sites run on it), Twitter and Dribbble. I have a few other accounts on others but rarely used, oh and I hate Facebook.

I personally have Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, and Pinterest. All of my profiles are exclusively for professional purposes. Only on Facebook I also possess an extra, "private life" account.
Twitter, Google+, and LinkedIn are useful to share posts from my blog. I am more likely to receive comments on the social networks rather than on my website though. But it's still a good opportunity to hear what people think on subjects I care about.
Pinterest is good for showcasing your work. Something I noticed on this network: while generally the graphic designer is supposed to be versatile, on Pinterest it is easier to land a job if you exhibit a series of projects with a precise, well-recognizable style.
If I had time, I would have joined more social networks. Something to plan in the future.

I've been told Pinterest is particularly good among the 'visual' sites for SEO... any truth to that? If so then I'll be joining it ASAP. Also I've discovered how sluggish and unusable Dropr is on an iPhone even with a good 3G signal...

I use Facebook, Google, twitter, Delicious, Linkden also so many bookmarking site for social work. All are helps for SEO, PR, increase site visitors much helpful all are. But what initiative we can take for extend and improve our site as an outstanding one ?

Back