Your opinion on best method

MuchAdoDesign

Hello, I'm new here so be nice :)

I like the style in the above pic, what would be your preferred method to get this effect using Illustrator?

Thanks, really appreciate all opinions and realise there are a number of ways to do this.

M-A-D

You could get something similar using the Pencil tool in Illustrator, but that looks like hand-drawn
linework and coloured in Photoshop to me. Alternatively, you could do it all in Photoshop.

You could get something similar using the Pencil tool in Illustrator, but that looks like hand-drawn
linework and coloured in Photoshop to me. Alternatively, you could do it all in Photoshop.

Thanks. My usual method when designing fabrics is to create a sketch on paper, then use watercolours to add colour, scan into Illustrator, then trace it and refine. I wanted to see if there was an all-digital method that might be better as my results are usually more washed out than this example. Is there a method people use to create a watercolour/wash effect like this within Adobe? You mention Photoshop, is this the best software - over Illustrator?

Thanks. My usual method when designing fabrics is to create a sketch on paper, then use watercolours to add colour, scan into Illustrator, then trace it and refine. I wanted to see if there was an all-digital method that might be better as my results are usually more washed out than this example. Is there a method people use to create a watercolour/wash effect like this within Adobe? You mention Photoshop, is this the best software - over Illustrator?

I've just looked at your FB page and your illustrations are brilliant. How do you usually add colour to your designs? (If you don't mind me asking).

I've just looked at your FB page and your illustrations are brilliant. How do you usually add colour to your designs? (If you don't mind me asking).

Usually in Photoshop. Hand draw on paper, scan, and refine and colour in Photoshop. I find illustrator is best for more basic illustration / shapes, unless you are required to strictly work in vector (which you can also do in Photoshop), in which case Illustrator would be best.

You could line it in Illustrator (or a free/cheaper alternative) then take it into Photoshop (or an alternative) and 'grubby' it up a little, giving the appearance of a hand-drawn image.

Thanks. Most of the work on my FB page is ink line and watercolour.

You can get a similar result in Photoshop using various brushes and possibly textures etc. It can be done in Illustrator
but it would be long-winded and you would have flatter colours and sharper lines.

Photoshop has a set of tools that Illustrator doesn't have and vice versa.

There's a steep learning curve in both.

Alternatives to these - as they are expensive, are Gimp(photoshop alt) and Inkscape (illustrator alt).

I couldn't find an Inkscape tutorial - but the illustrator method would be quite similar https://design.tutsplus.com/tutoria...color-texture-in-adobe-illustrator--cms-26468

Both photoshop and illustrator (gimp/inkscape) produce different filetypes for output - my preference for something like this would be all Illustrator.

And for certain sizes and applications, and different treatments you can use photoshop and the final output will be limited to the size and resolution you setup in Photoshop.

However, Illustrator should be scalable to any size if you don't use raster effects.

Photoshop has a set of tools that Illustrator doesn't have and vice versa.

There's a steep learning curve in both.

Alternatives to these - as they are expensive, are Gimp(photoshop alt) and Inkscape (illustrator alt).

I couldn't find an Inkscape tutorial - but the illustrator method would be quite similar https://design.tutsplus.com/tutoria...color-texture-in-adobe-illustrator--cms-26468

Both photoshop and illustrator (gimp/inkscape) produce different filetypes for output - my preference for something like this would be all Illustrator.

And for certain sizes and applications, and different treatments you can use photoshop and the final output will be limited to the size and resolution you setup in Photoshop.

However, Illustrator should be scalable to any size if you don't use raster effects.
Thanks for this. I have a subcription with TutsPlus so that tutorial will be on my list to watch. I think I need to brush up on file outputs with AI and PS. I'm halfway through a graphic design degree but we've not really covered this in depth so will be asking for some guidance from my tutor.

Back