Your favourite body fonts?

Surprisingly it looks just like the image he linked to.

helv.gif

@harry Helvetica is undoubtably a nicer font than rip-off Arial, I think we both agree on this. Also I think we both agree that Helvetica is better on a Mac. What you are saying is that Helvetica is rendered poorly on a PC, so we should put Arial before it in the font stack or not use it at all.

The reason we should put Helvetica first is that it looks better on a Mac and on a PC MOST DONT HAVE HELVETICA INSTALLED, so it will just show go down the font stack to Arial.

Do you now agree with me and @firefly, or is there no convincing you?

ps everyone is entitled to there opinions, so whatever you think I respect.

Wow, no need to shout lol.

I agree, you are right. Helvetica is an amazing face, Arial conversely is shite. However your 'PC MOST DONT HAVE HELVETICA INSTALLED' argument is flawed. Most machines don't have JS disabled, but that doesn't mean you don't cater for them. If PCs could render Helvetica as nicely as Macs do then I'd be all for it, but as it stands they can't, and therefore Helvetica for body copy should be avoided/used sparingly.

Harry, I've mentioned above.
I think your a great web designer, but I disagree with you on this point. That is all, I don't want to get into a row about this. Plus I'm behind on a project, so this is my last comment on this thread :)

To say that 'Most PC users don't have it installed so f*ck em*' is a very irresponsible view for any web designer to take.

*paraphrased, obviously.

Would it be theoretically possible to have some form of platform detection and then give mac users a stylesheet with helvetica and PC users arial?

Read elsewhere that Safari renders helvetica correctly on both platforms, is that true?!

EDIT- Loving the fact that Fred's attempt to hot link one of Harry's images was thwarted! mwha!

Greg said:
Would it be theoretically possible to have some form of platform detection and then give mac users a stylesheet with helvetica and PC users arial?

You can browser sniff with JS

Greg said:
Read elsewhere that Safari renders helvetica correctly on both platforms, is that true?!

It does look smoother, yeah.

Greg said:
EDIT- Loving the fact that Fred's attempt to hot link one of Harry's images was thwarted! mwha!

At least I know it works now haha.

Whilst we're on this heated topic, what does everyone think of the fonts used for posts and threads here at DF? Do you think it could be improved? Verdana first over Arial?

Thanks,
Greg

I like the Arial, leave it as is IMO (or whatever you do, don't use Helvetica or I'm likely to leave (no kidding) it's fecking impossible to read).

To say that 'Most PC users don't have it installed so f*ck em*' is a very irresponsible view for any web designer to take.

My argument was that most PC's won't have Helvetica installed, so it goes back to Arial in the font stack. And I'm not saying f**k PC users Harry.

Back