Your domain. How many tlds should you have?

Alex L

Hi, I'm thinking about doing some work in the web development field. I'm currently a student in Computing. I was actually going to do a degree in Web Development but after reading a post by the great Harry Roberts ;) decided to do this in my spare time and get a more generic degree.

Anyway, I have the .co.uk of the domain I want to use. How important is having the others though. The .com and .net of my domain are holding pages and the .org is a Russian blog (I think).

Is having just the .co.uk acceptable, what are your thoughts.

yes it's fine, unless you're a massive multi national conglomerate the benefits of .co.uk on uk based seo ranking is beneficial :)

Thanks for the reply, however, don't the big SEO decide the locality of your site based on two things? Your domain or your hosting. So as long as I'm using UK hosting, I will gain no benefit from having a .co.uk

I guess my only concern was, say I told someone about my website, they might just type in domain.com rather than domain.co.uk?

I'm pretty sure most people will try .co.uk after .com if they don't see your website, or even search for it by name. If you can easily buy the .com then perhaps its a bonus, but if you can't it's not such a big deal.

Okay, thanks for all the replys. If people are searching for name, I'm currently at the 6th result on google and third if you use UK only settings. Definitely a worthwhile taking some time to bump it up a bit?

Alex L said:
…I'm currently a student in Computing. I was actually going to do a degree in Web Development but after reading a post by the great Harry Roberts ;) decided to do this in my spare time and get a more generic degree…

Wow, nice one :D

Back