You know you're a designer when

Dave1975

• You have bags under your eyes so big you'd have to check them in at Heathrow Airport
  • You can spot bad typography from 100 yds away
  • You are pro-facebook because 95% of the myspace accounts burn your retinas
  • You can name more than 200 fonts in under five minutes
  • You are completely immune to subliminal advertising
  • You look upon a well-designed project with either: sympathy OR extreme jealousy
  • Your hand is permanently stuck in the shape of a mouse
  • You tell stories of exacto-knife inflicted wounds with grizzled sort of pride
  • You practically take caffeine intravenously
  • You have an appreciation for everything unique
  • You've been spending three days non-stop on a project and it still looks like bad. You find yourself overcome by Deathlust.
  • You buy a CD or DVD for the artwork, even if you have no idea what the actual music or film is like (even worse, you don't actually watch or listen to it, just stare at it for hours and hug it in adoration)
  • You look at the clock and see it's about midnight and think 'I'll go to bed now'... and you actually go to bed about 2-3am
  • You need someone else to point out that you're sitting in a room in front of the computer with all the lights off, and haven't noticed
  • When you know what "kerning" is and you really, really like it
  • You have a thing for chairs. You don't know why
  • You’re in the sun and you look around for a Drop Shadow to sit under
  • You give your relatives a lecture about color spaces and profiles when you email them your vacation photos
  • Seeing someone use Lens Flare or Comic Sans adversely affects your blood-pressure
  • You maintain a grid system for your refrigerator magnets
  • You organize your CD collection according to the Pantone chart
  • You know Lorem Ipsum by heart
  • Your kid knows Lorem Ipsum by heart
  • Activating your entire font collection makes your computer crash
  • You use words about fonts you dislike that other normal people reserve for fascist dictators and serial killers
  • Your best friends are all employees at the local print shop
  • The only people who seem to know what you do for a living are other Graphic Designers
  • When your significant other/ friends have threatened to never speak to you again if you point out one more font to them
  • You can understand everything on this list

Found this great list on a Facebook group and had to share it! Feel free to reply with additions to it! Think we might need a whole new list for web designers/developers :lol:

Hey Rob,
My favourite other than the "I'll go to bed now" is "You need someone else to point out that you're sitting in a room in front of the computer with all the lights off, and haven't noticed".
Welcome to Design Forums by the way :)
Greg

You buy a CD or DVD for the artwork, even if you have no idea what the actual music or film is like (even worse, you don't actually watch or listen to it, just stare at it for hours and hug it in adoration)

Whoa yep. :cry:

hahaha...great post Greg.

Can certainly relate to the sleep/bed time/lights off etc.

This one is really spooky "You have a thing for chairs. You don't know why...". I also have a thing for lighting design. Can spend hours in this area and the chair area in Ikea for example. Spooky as I have said...

Calibre Designs said:
This one is really spooky "You have a thing for chairs. You don't know why...". I also have a thing for lighting design. Can spend hours in this area and the chair area in Ikea for example. Spooky as I have said...

Haha, I have a thing for office chairs, but even more so office desks! I'm constantly upgrading my desk, last time I went to IKEA I was there dis-assembling one I found in bargain corner! It was half price as been used on display but in top condition, I coudln't leave it behind no matter how challenging fitting it into a 3 door Fiesta was! :lol:

Greg said:
  • You are completely immune to subliminal advertising
  • You practically take caffeine intravenously
  • You have an appreciation for everything unique
  • You look at the clock and see it's about midnight and think 'I'll go to bed now'... and you actually go to bed about 2-3am
  • You need someone else to point out that you're sitting in a room in front of the computer with all the lights off, and haven't noticed
  • When you know what "kerning" is and you really, really like it
  • You have a thing for chairs. You don't know why
  • The only people who seem to know what you do for a living are other Graphic Designers

HAHA! These ones pretty much sum up my life. Especially "You practically take caffeine intravenously" and "The only people who seem to know what you do for a living are other Graphic Designers"

Greg said:
You look at the clock and see it's about midnight and think 'I'll go to bed now'... and you actually go to bed about 2-3am

Guilty of this one last night/this morning! :rolleyes:

I can relate to these two:
'You can spot bad typography from 100 yds away'
'You are completely immune to subliminal advertising'

But there is one that I didn't see and this has caused many arguments between me and my other half, and that is that I constantly comment on every piece of design when I'm out shopping with her.

The list could have been a lot longer if we put our minds to it, but I like it a lot and can also relate to most of the points mentioned in it :)

You know your a Designer when:

You refer to the colour of a jumper you bought as a Pantone number reference.
You start playing "I-Spy Fonts" on the High Street on a Saturday
You study the design of the food packaging in Tesco's - before you put them in your trolley.
You find the aisles of Tesco's a typographic cornucopia of interest.
You find therapy standing in the graphic department of Borders
You join design forums
You remember choosing between Pagemaker and Quark
You collect direct mail pieces in cardboard boxes for 'reference'
You can't remember what life was like before computers
You go to 'End of Year Graduate' shows and snarl

Berry said:
You know your a Designer when:

You can't remember what life was like before computers

Theres not a day goes by when I don't think about this. :D

I can't say yes to the "activating my font collection makes my computer crash" part because it did crashed and so I had to do something about it. Otherwise, I won't be able to work.

And dont forget waking up at 4am in a sweat because you've got an idea and are so scared of forgetting it if you go back to sleep so end up getting up and working on it!..... need sleep now!

Back