Yellow print comes back lime green

sawn-off

Hi,

can anyone help?

I've had 4 sets of proofs back for a yellow business card design, but they keep coming back with a lime green tinge - in daylight they're bright yellow, but indoors under electric lights they're bright lime green!

I've tried different versions, but the yellow I used for last proofs is 100% Y, 5% K. They're being digitally printed on 400gsm art board at a professional printers......( I've tried 2 different printers, same result.)

any clues??

Thanks

Hey,

I'd bet that this is due to the digital printing process that you're using - we often find that digital prints aren't ideal. What quantities are you ordering? It may be better to switch to litho if you can.

Feel free to drop us an email to [email protected] if you'd like to discuss further.

Rich@Pulse

I've just digitally printed out a slab of 100% Y + 5% K and it looks fine to me. Even in the kitchen which only has electric light it looks yellow. PM me your address and I'll send you a sample! (Though we can only print digitally onto 350gsm board)

I agree with Pulse Print

I have seen some digital printers setup for pantone or similar and use a pantone to CMYK converter - this will definitely cause your colour palette to change when printed.

Litho printing is far superior to digital; I would always go litho over digital not just for the quality but not having to worry if you have to much block colour and whether the vibrancy of the ink will be ok. You do not have to worry about these things if you go with a high quality lithographic printer, also you can get low quantities lithographically printed now at very competitive prices.

100 luxury business cards lithographically printed.

I have seen some digital printers setup for pantone or similar and use a pantone to CMYK converter - this will definitely cause your colour palette to change when printed.

Litho printing is far superior to digital; I would always go litho over digital not just for the quality but not having to worry if you have to much block colour and whether the vibrancy of the ink will be ok. You do not have to worry about these things if you go with a high quality lithographic printer, also you can get low quantities lithographically printed now at very competitive prices.

100 luxury business cards lithographically printed.

It's not quite as black and white as you are making out, for certain jobs, digital prints perfectly well, sometimes even better it depends on the job you are doing. We have an excellent Nexpress which can do all sorts of fancy tricks (spot UV, gloss coat), and has a range of Pantone colours it can match pretty well dead on. (Obviously there are still some it can't).

And if you want to personalise an item you can't do it at low cost on press!

^^I agree with Artgem - we have both digital and litho and certain jobs are fine on digital.

If it has to go out of the door the same day . . .
and personalised. . .
or very short run. . .
it has to be digital!

^^I agree with Artgem - we have both digital and litho and certain jobs are fine on digital.

If it has to go out of the door the same day . . .
and personalised. . .
or very short run. . .
it has to be digital!

But if you want exact colour matching, it has to be litho using Pantone specials.

Absolutely - we do a lot of litho in Pantones and hardly any corporate work in CMYK for stationery. But some colours are fine printed digitally.

If your file says 100Y and 5k then thats going to print as bright yellow. Regardless of how well a digital proofing system has handled it, you can be sure that it will be yellow not green as there is no cyan in your file to turn it green.
It is a shame that the tint charts I grew up with are rarely used as all modern designers seem to be transfixed by what they see on screen! Analyse your tint percentages and you can see the colour you are proposing.

Back