• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Yeeeees it's ANOTHER Wacom thread!

martyvibe

Good afternoon ladels and germs, I know people will keep referring me back to old threads, but technology and opinions change these days like clockwork, so I thought I'd add my own queries.

Those lovely folk at the Inland Revenue have just splashed a nice bundle of cash into my possession due to me paying too much tax etc. so I have decided to take the plunge and go for a Wacom tablet.

I've decided my budget is anywhere between the region of....well, I don't know, I'd like some opinions first.

I'm severely testing my nerve with going for the cheapest Cintiq, which I've wanted ever since I first saw one. BUT, some people say it's not worth it and have told me to go for an Intuos(4+), but THEN some people say for my style, a Bamboo would suffice, even though there is significant decrease in pressure sensitivity, but a snip at £70-80. The agony of choice.

Click my signature to get a flavour of the kind of work I do, and that's what I'd mainly be doing on one of these slabs. Wow, what an essay...

Levi

Staff member
another vote for the intuos. I've got an a5 wide intuos 3 but the new intuos 5 are actually good value compared with the old ones, the medium one is around 250-300 now which is less than I paid for mine iirc. Plus you can go wireless with a new attachment which is a huge plus point in my opinion.

If I used my wacom more often I'd be upgrading just for the wireless aspect... I hate cables on my desk.

martyvibe

Cool, I think what I'm gonna do is pop down PC World and ask to try one of them out. Heard nothing but good things about the Intuos range.

scotty

I still use an Intuos 2 which has a working area of about A4 and the full size is about A3.
A bit big.
I used one at work for about six years and it was bomb proof. It had a big crack on the back from where I used to bridge the corner of my working space and it still worked a dream.
I recently used an Intuos 4 at an in house gig and I found I kept catching the built in controls with my arm which was a real pain but I guess it's something to get use to.
Intuos rocks!

I've got the wireless bamboo pen and touch but I don't do anything too taxing with it, just general use, so depends how much you value the pressure/ sensitivity part. Only issues I've had is the touch track pad sometimes throws a wobbly not recognising two finger scrolls or gets a bit jittery but is normally sorted by just turning off and on again.

martyvibe

Okay after much much much MUCH deliberation, I've decided to go for the Bamboo Fun Medium. Mainly because it's a nice price, nice size working area, and considering I'm only using it to get smooth lines I think this is will hopefully be a decent starting option. Intuos Medium (Small is toooo small) is just out of my budget unfortunately.

martyvibe

Bamboo Pen And Touch is the dark grey one right? I was tempted to go for that but I heard that the Bamboo Fun (or Create as it's called in other countries) is more suited to the artiste.

I've bought an Intuos 4 Small (£129 at PC World clearance) and it's nice but I can honestly say although its good the Bamboo worked fine for the sort of thing I do.

Jimlad

He does that a lot. Show him a £500 piece of kit and he'll find it on eBay for less that £150. It's a damn super power I tells ya.