XP Or Vista

I've been fleshing out idea's for starting some freelance work for the past few months, and I think I'm ready to start setting up my computer for work. It's a laptop, here's the stats:

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.0 Ghz
3 Gigs of ram

The laptop is running Vista at the moment, and it's not too bad but it can get a little sluggish when running Blender 3D or several Photoshop projects. I wonder if I would see an increase in speed + compatibility if I was running XP. The machine will mostly be used for web, photoshop/design, and the occasional game (usually starcraft, nothing big). Also it does a fair bit of movie watching and torrenting.

XP generally runs things a bit more stable like 3D programs and Photoshop etc.. as Vista has so many bugs. But ultimately it depends on what you want out of an OS. I run XP at work on 30 machines and they all work ok with various programs.. one runs 3D studio max with no problems at all.. I've not install Vista because its not as friendly when it comes to networking.

also vista doesn't use all the ram you have.. i think it limits itself to 2gig or something stupid like that, while XP uses all of it.

I thought it was the other way round... :p LOL I'll double check.. hold on

It all depends on what the BIOS see's in both Vista and XP :) so if XP in BIOS see's all the Ram then its all groovy.. same with Vista :)

Ahh alright...Hmm. Its a tough decision, although reformatting isn't tough as my computer is seperated into two partitions. I wonder if the stability and speed increase would be significant enough to warrant the switch.

well as much as partitioning drives is very handing for storing and sorting data, it does increase strain on the ram (only slightly more than usual) unless it's running RAID.

i'd go with xp, my thought is if it ain't broke, don't fix it... and really, vista imo is just a crappy shiny poor man's version of OSX.

well I run OSX at home and XP at work so its either or... go with what you're happy with :)

i hope windows7 delivers the goods this time around!

Have had too many nightmares with vista. Won't install programs properly and yeah it only uses 2gig of ram out of 3. Also the SP2 made my system even slower.

I think from the looks of Windows 7 its basically like someone in M$ stole Mac OSX and made it look like XP :p LOL

chrismitchell said:
I think from the looks of Windows 7 its basically like someone in M$ stole Mac OSX and made it look like XP :p LOL
i wasn't too impressed with the preview though!

as long as it is fast and compatible with all programs then i will upgrade.

So far I've been impressed by the sexy default wallpapers they have installed on Windows 7 :p
And the snapping feature is definitely useful but I can't say I was impressed about it.

Nothing notable at least. Then again I have had to go back to a previous version (that reset where it takes you back 24 hours) twice. Forgot about that.

looks like Fred got the only decent version of Vista LOL

Back