XP Or Vista

Thank you all for your replies =) I noticed a few of you are rooting for macs, and honesty I would love a macbook but my finances don't exactly allow for that at the moment when a basic macbook is $1400. Also, as for Vista vs XP, I think I'll be reformatting here shortly, thanks for the insight!

I've had a quick look through this thread and also over the last few hours watched my girlfriend using her vista laptop which is actually better spec than my macbook, struggle to handle placing a file in illustrator!

I would stick with XP, microsoft have rushed windows 7 for a reason, it is just rubbish. XP wasn't great, but it is easily more stable than vista!

Funnily enough Mike, my fiance's PC is faster and has more RAM than my Macbook too, and it crashes alot of the time and can't even run Illustrator let alone Dreamweaver or Photoshop, she wants a Mac now :p

MWAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks for all the replies again =) I'm back and running XP, and there is definitely a difference in boot time, of anywheres from 20-30 seconds. Starcraft also runs better!

mrp2049 said:
I've had a quick look through this thread and also over the last few hours watched my girlfriend using her vista laptop which is actually better spec than my macbook, struggle to handle placing a file in illustrator!
But is that just because she is a woman? :confused:
:cool:

tim-ater said:
Not thirded.

Actually, I have a confession to make, my friend is selling his iMac, so I asked if I could 'test drive' it for a few days, been on it for about 3hrs and I'm slowly falling in love with it, Aperture is a very good piece of software, going to do some coding on it tomorrow, that could make up my mind.

So I was wrong! :)

chris1791 said:
Actually, I have a confession to make, my friend is selling his iMac, so I asked if I could 'test drive' it for a few days, been on it for about 3hrs and I'm slowly falling in love with it, Aperture is a very good piece of software, going to do some coding on it tomorrow, that could make up my mind.

So I was wrong! :)
Here you go, just in case :clap:

dress_mac_01.jpg

Now that I'm running XP there are definitely are some drawbacks, most important of which is battery life. XP is not optimized for laptops. On Vista I would get around 2-3 hours of battery life unplugged, with XP its more around 1/2 hour to an hour.

Other than this, it seems to be working well.

2-3 hours? seriously?

flipping heck, i thought they at least half-rivaled the macs!

PC laptop batter life is a bit poop.. but the Sony Viao ones have better batteries in them :)

yeah my MacBook has about that amount too.. i think i got about 7 hours or something like that :)

That is insane, that's actually the laptop (13.3") that I hope to have within the next year, but they're hard to find around my town and online is incredibly expensive.

might be worth taking a trip to one of the larger cities in Canada then Kurtis for a laptop :)

Personally, I'd sell the laptop to a friend and build myself a desktop windows based machine.
I'd go with XP as I like it more.

For around £400 you could build a quad core 2.6ghz amd platform with 4 gig ram @ 1066mhz, which as far as I'm concerned is a good spec.

xp 32bit can recognise 4gb of ram, though if you have onboard graphics take that amount away!

i love macs, but out of my price range at the minute!

Back