Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xampp Apache start problem on vista

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Jazajay, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Right after a recent update by Microsoft, which screwed up my hosts file on Vista, I cant get my Apache server to start. I've fixed the hosts file and reinstalled Xampp, but when I try to turn it on the Apache server just crashes, that leads me to believe that it is a problem with something not loading properly before hand and Apache crashing as a result.

However after a fresh install it is still happening so it has to be something that happened in the Vista update, as I know this has caused mayhem in other Xampp users, other wise it should work. All I get is a blank white page, my Xampp control console just refuses to run the Apache server.

Anyone know how to fix this, like now?
  2. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

OK fixed it, it was my iplayer that I have recently installed, just before the update.

It was hogging port :80 so as it was connected Apache couldn't and thus shut down.
    The fix is to shut down the iplayers actual service file, KService, which is the delivery manager service for the iplayer, you need to go into the services management thing this can be accessed from the task manager -> services -> services button bottom right.

Once that loads up and you give it permission to open locate the KService process, right click the status and click stop, then double click the start up type and change it to manual, and it will resolve the issue.

Talk about cross referencing, using a vague clue I found on-line, my firewalls advanced logs, my task manager and my amazing brain.

One happy Jaz :)
  3. Greg

Greg Active Member

By iPlayer do you mean BBC iPlayer? I thought iPlayer didn't use KService? I know I had problems using Channel 4's OD service 4OD which uses KService...
  4. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

No Skys iplayer thingy, or what ever it's called. :)
    If it uses KService that's how I fixed it as KService runs on port :80.
    How did you fix yours, change Apache to run on port :85 instead of port :80?
  5. Greg

Greg Active Member

Ahhh OK, cool thought you meant the BBC one as was going to say that was one of the good things about the BBC Catch-Up service, and why 4OD sucks! and it didn't cause problems like that for me as not running Xampp Apache here :confused:

Is that like a localhost server app for developing sites?
  6. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Yeah Xampp gives you the Apache server, Mysql database, PHP and a mail server all rolled into 1, that and what I like a handy control panel to stop and start each 1.

It was the Apache server I was having the issue with so it isn't really an Xampp issue.:)
  7. Greg

Greg Active Member

Ahh right cool, good to know, might try that when I next get a web dev job in :) will save the constant FTP, Refresh, FTP, Refresh :)
    Cheers, Greg
  8. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member it's instant, you will honestly be amazed how you were living with out it, TBH, it saves you an immense amount of time buddy.

That and you don't need an internet connection to use it, you can test across browser when ever you want great for design on the move.