Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wtf?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Stationery Direct, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

<RANT>

Why the f**k do people take the time to join up to the forum just to post this crap?

The new york ent physicians subspecialize in more than a dozen areas including otology, neurotology (the study of the nerves within the ear), surgery of the head and neck, nasal and sinus disorders, voice and swallowing problems, audiology, and upper airway obstruction. Virtually all otorhinolaryngologists routinely handle cases such as adenoidectomies, tonsillectomies, nose bleeds, infected mastoids, sinus disease, snoring and sleep disorders, and breathing problems.

Is this of any interest to a Design based forum?

Then we have the other idiots who reply to posts with replies that are not even in context and in really bad english, what is the point of this? I can only put it down to them hoping they can get away with a few posts and then adding a dodgy website address to their signature at a later date.

I see why some forums have so many registered users now, 50% are just crap registrations, I delete 3 or 4 a day at the moment, 99% with gmail accounts :icon_Wall:

The joys of running a forum :icon_smile:

</RANT>

2. Pixels Ink

Pixels Ink Member

3 or 4, think yourself lucky.

On a gaming forum that i run I have been contending with 30 - 40 dummy registrations a day, all posting stuff like you have highlighted above. I reckon its an automated bot of some sort creating the accounts.

We have a captcha graphic in the registration process but it seems to get past it.

We have added a simple maths question to the registration process to see if that will help stop it.

but yeah, very very :icon_cursing:

3. Stationery Direct

Yeah I know but I can only see it getting worse, I use a simple spelling question in order to register yet they still sign up so I don't think it is a bot, again they don't just register they also post, it drives me mental.

85% are gmail accounts, was actually thinking to ban gmail e-mail addresses or as we are a UK based forum ban some of the country IP's that are persistent offenders, seems drastic I know but again we are UK based.

Dunno, probably have to live with it for now :icon_dunno:

P.S: What's your gaming forum Col, is it yours?

4. Pixels Ink

Pixels Ink Member

Its a clan forum, not a general public discussion forum.

dhrystones community

The sum question has worked for us. No more random new accounts :)

5. KevJaques

KevJaques Member

we hardly get any spam members join up on SC, there was one the other day but pretty much non existant and we've had a good increase in new members the past 6 months.
    I think it boils down to the forum forms for registration though, ours is a tough cookie but still usableish.

Now it's just a matter of getting the new members to contribute to the forum, some do but a lot don't, most of those signing up are fans of our ClassicPro Winamp Plugin - cough yea bit of a plug heheh, btw we have just released a new version of it too heheh

6. dogsbody

dogsbody Member

I've been looking for physicians who's subspecialties include more than a dozen areas that encompass otology, neurology etc.

Anyone got any ideas?:icon_wink:

7. Stationery Direct

Funny :icon_biggrin: