WP Site Critique

GibbonIt

Just experimenting with a WP website for my personal projects and blog posts. I'm thinking about reworking the size of the logo, but am looking for further critique and advice before I begin fully promoting it.
You can view it here.

Cheers
Ben

Hey Ben,
Here are some points:
Room for improvement:
  • The logo is a bit oversized
  • I'm not digging the animation for the rollovers on your projects, they're a bit distracting
  • I wish the projects thumbnails opened up into a detailed view of the project.
Positives:
  • Overall site design is clean (really digging the font choice)
  • LOVE the attitude throughout the website, not the standard bla bla.
  • Very effective way of incorporating your social media in the footer

JeffAtHuemor said:
Hey Ben,
Here are some points:
Room for improvement:
  • The logo is a bit oversized
  • I'm not digging the animation for the rollovers on your projects, they're a bit distracting
  • I wish the projects thumbnails opened up into a detailed view of the project.
Positives:
  • Overall site design is clean (really digging the font choice)
  • LOVE the attitude throughout the website, not the standard bla bla.
  • Very effective way of incorporating your social media in the footer
Thanks Jeff, I really appreciate that feedback.
I plan to downsize the logo at a later date. I also thought about having a case study page for each of the projects. Would that fulfil the detail you wanted?
Cheers

Pretty much what Jeff said. To expand on the hover effect issue, I would say that it does look good, but, it's too distracting. As soon as I notice it, I stop paying attention to the content and my eyes are just glued to the square, like Eric Pickles and mobile food vans, nothing else is getting any attention. I would give it keep it but try reducing the opacity of the hover image by about 50%.
That footer needs some serious looking at. That vibrant pink on dark grey isn't working for me at all. Perhaps lose the dark grey. Other than that, it's a nice arrangement of images and text, perhaps you could try injecting a bit of personal flair to the design?

Sean Lee-Amies said:
Pretty much what Jeff said. To expand on the hover effect issue, I would say that it does look good, but, it's too distracting. As soon as I notice it, I stop paying attention to the content and my eyes are just glued to the square, like Eric Pickles and mobile food vans, nothing else is getting any attention. I would give it keep it but try reducing the opacity of the hover image by about 50%.
That footer needs some serious looking at. That vibrant pink on dark grey isn't working for me at all. Perhaps lose the dark grey. Other than that, it's a nice arrangement of images and text, perhaps you could try injecting a bit of personal flair to the design?
Thanks mate. I think I will look into the hover effect and experiment around with that. I'll look into the footer too, maybe lighten up the dark grey. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Many Thanks

No problem, I look forward to seeing the new version :)

Ben. said:
Thanks Jeff, I really appreciate that feedback.
I plan to downsize the logo at a later date. I also thought about having a case study page for each of the projects. Would that fulfil the detail you wanted?
Cheers
A case study is definitely the direction I was hinting at, a 1 page scroll style page (from my experience) gets the best results. Potential clients tend to prefer scrolling to clicking.

Ben, I'm pretty damn sure I was reading a post from you this morning asking who could help putting together a site for you. And then bam, I clicked on the link in your Sig and there it is, lookin great, makin me wonder whether I've just been asleep for a few weeks and missed its development. Hmm.
Good work though, makes me want a new site. How did you go about it in the end????

Back