Wow ! say goodbye to IE.... well maybe

Sunburn

maybe this will finally fix those CSS problems IE6 has by pretending / having the Chrome facelift :D

used the chrome couple of times but it's ****ing lightweight. Microsoft will never want to put out a bad product but **** happens. It's like Gordon Brown.............he gets attacked everytime by cameron because of so much **** that's been happening. Google are just a great pretender.............microsoft will still win the battle in the end.

Why?...... this is an awesome move, if corporate network admins allow it to be installed on their terminals! As for the rest of us, this again is a win win situation, if you as the user have the application / runtime installed then you will get a much better experience, if not you get the old flavour.

This is likely to be a god-send to us developers going forward.

also how come nobody looks for fault in other browsers except IE everytime. Y'all need to stop hating on microsoft because they made "THINGS" possible.

chrismitchell said:
not a fan of Google then h? :)
when it comes to search, analytics, advertising and the web generally.........they are the King and hardly can anybody touch them.

h_freezy said:
used the chrome couple of times but it's ****ing lightweight. Microsoft will never want to put out a bad product but **** happens.

It's not the case that IE6 was a bad product when it was first released, just that the web has moved on a lot, but many users (who still have IE6) haven't. I think this is a very smart move by Google, assuming that the large number of corporate users are allowed to install & use it, as Geoff says it's a win, win situation.

I can imagine Firefox wishing they'd thought of this move!

h_freezy said:
also how come nobody looks for fault in other browsers .....

They do, and these faults are reported on the development blog of the browser makers and are speedily resolved and a new release is released, its just that MS until recently have not listened or have been slow to adapt to the changing browser market and such, not forcing an update to ie6 which is now 10+ years old and has well documented security and functionality issues is simply bad business practice. Additionally to this (i could go on and on) MS are still trying with their current IE releases to try and drive their own path, where as the other browser manufactures realise that the common goal shared is indeed the better path for the EU.

Its not a case of hating MS, its a case of frustration that they pay little respect or attention to the very people who pay for their products.

Sunburn said:
where as the other browser manufactures realise that the common goal shared is indeed the better path for the EU.

I think this is the key to the success of other browsers over IE, IE is developed by Microsoft, Firefox/Chrome are open source products, so the team of developers behind these browsers is far greater, especially when you look at all the plugins available.

I think its just a really clever marketing ploy by Google :)

Well its sold me!

Ill will be promoting this plug-in to my client base over an install of a new browser which they will more then likely not use due to familiarity of IE and Windows OS.

Ultimately this plugin still gives the same visual look of the IE browser window, just with the internal mechanics of Google Chrome! awesome.

I would do a network wide install here at work, but I don't need to as I uninstalled IE6 ages ago from all machines and gave everyone Firefox, Chrome and Safari (and in one case even Opera LOL) I am the only person in my office with IE8 LOL :p

Well you are one of the lucky one Chris, there are so many business out there that simply cant justify the time and costs to change browser / upgrade. So this solution being provided by google is the first very real viable solution for a lot of companies in order to "upgrade" their networks, and for the cost of time alone.

I didn't need to justify cost or time :p I just told the boss I was doing it because I didn't want to have to code our website twice just for him (because he's not the brightest stick on the tree he'd see all the errors that IE6 makes and think it was happening on ALL browsers)... :lol:

It won't work. Simple as that, the idea is ridiculous. And no matter how much I'd like to see IE6 go, if people aren't even going for the obvious solution of upgrading to IE7/8, then you're friggin' retarded if you think they'll download an inobvious, (?) external piece of software.

I agree with onartis, while a great idea, those who want to upgrade currently can't and I imagine wont be able to use this, and those who don't care for upgrading wont have a clue about this...

and I agree completely with earlier in this thread that this isn't about hating on microsofts current releases its hating on the fact they still support their old releases that aren't necessary. IE8 in my opinion is a pile of.... but that doesn't mean it is not a better solution to a much worse problem. I realise now they are trying to get upgrades but that seems to me to be a marketing plan to stop them getting thrown out of the browser war.

Onartis said:
It won't work. Simple as that, the idea is ridiculous. And no matter how much I'd like to see IE6 go, if people aren't even going for the obvious solution of upgrading to IE7/8, then you're friggin' retarded if you think they'll download an inobvious, (?) external piece of software.

seconded....................google are just ****ing pretenders...............sorry to all u google stans:p

Onartis, you miss the point, this will be a viable solution for many network admins who cannot justify the costs and time involved in upgrading / replacing OS / Browsers and Training of staff.

Which company out there under the advice of their Network admin wouldn't choose a path that is a fraction of the cost of the alternative?

H_freezy.... dont blame the player, blame the game !

Back