Wow ! say goodbye to IE.... well maybe

How is it expensive and time consuming to install IE8 over IE6 (no honest clue on this for a full company system, but it takes next to no time at all on a home network?!)

and training isn't necessary surely as it works the same as IE6 with extras?

The chrome alternative surely takes more training

The problem I had was my network was made by a dumbass :p and it barely works and now I look after it so its just a case of fighting fires everyday and was easier to do that than try anything else LOL :)

It's time consuming to update an entire network, but so is installing the plugin. And I hardly see how upgrading IE would create any costs (except for maybe electricity?) so installing the plugin will cost just as much from my pov.

It won't work -.-

@renniks Have you read the article in my first first link on my opening post ? if not all will become clear when you do.

As for the costs, example: Win98 to Vista will require new License keys per machine, then time installing, patching, securing, and then training the end user on how to use the new interface, where as this plugin can be disto'd over the network and installed by a couple of clicks. No change to the user interface, business as usual but with the security and efficiency the chrome engine brings.

Perhaps we shall have to agree to disagree, but i'm confident I wont be eating my hat, in short I wouldn't be surprised if MS doesn't react in a positive manor first! :)

h_freezy said:
ok let's see how the chrome "thingy" pans out!
What? It's already got a fantastic design with amazing speeds to boot. Noticed a couple of bugs, but they're hardly comparable to the fact that IE takes a good 30 seconds just to load a page, it's still a chore.

chrome can't load some sites so i dumped it....................freaking lightweight browser. Also the tabs are high up in the sky. chrome can't touch IE8...............never
try loading trading platforms on chrome!

I haven't a clue what you're on about.

I use Chrome to browse the internet, trading platforms don't interest me, not that I know what they are. Tabs being high up is quality, more window space.

Okay for the point Google brings in better results has anyone used Bing for more than 5 mins, the searches are either the same or better, the only time I use Google is for SEO work to check positions, but more or less they are the same. Bing brings you better results.

Also I have to agree with Onartis, I personally can't see the point. I mean how can installing an add-on be any easier than upgrading the browser. What about the non-corporate users?

I did a site for my dad not so long back and I didn't code for IE6, don't believe in it, and he was like cool, but there's 1 error. I explained to him why he should upgrade and he still hasn't.

Now if I put a link to install the add-on, why would some1 want to?
I mean yeah it's from Google code, which doesn't necessarily mean its from Google, and asking them to install it, or ask them to install an add-on from Microsoft, or upgrade, which is safer.

Google code is a way for developers to release code under Google's name.

For example check out ~
jazajay - Project Hosting on Google Code

Now is jazajay is the code name for a Flash for SEO work in progress, no 1 of the other mods on SEW made that up, so it's not actually from Google for a start, and if it is I may seek legal action for using my username TBH. :D

I have to agree with H_freezy all the way on this TBH, sorry Sunburn. :)

That and Chrome is still way to light weight, I checked it the other day, and was still far from impressed.

In fact an independent test, by PC Pro magazine, showed it's no faster than Firefox, the only exception being when you have 30-50 high usage tabs open, Chrome is slightly faster, but then that's PC dependant anyway.

Also the time browsers can take to download a page is also dependant on your computer. If IE is taking 30seconds to open a page, you need to upgrade your RAM, or sort your hard drive out for a start TBH, or even upgrade your processor, because if the computer cant give the browser the resources it needs the browser will become sluggish, and IE7 does need more resources then IE8, Firefox or any of the others.

Jaz

No sorry sunburn hadn't read the original link, apologies :)

I agree with fred about chrome, awesome browser... Does everything I need it to do, and anything that doesn't work on it needs to question their site not googles browser. :D

Not to mention the fact I wont lose the 40+ tabs I have open IF one of them crashes

(I also agree that its barely if at all faster than firefox / opera / safari, but do find it quicker than IE7 considerably.... :)

Yeah that's true, but with Firefox's immense add-ons what's the point TBH, granted the crashing but I can't remember the last time it crashed TBH.

I have to say though that Firefox's bugs aren't that quick to be fixed all the time.

I filed a report back in, what, 07 about Yslow crashing it when using a local testing server and you inspected the DOM. I got my first reply to it last month asking if the same bug still happened in the latest version of Firefox, 2 years on. So....

Security issues totally though, they are pretty hot on that TBH.

I use my firefox if I want to do any development or design things (like you said, the addons are just there) but for standard browsing chrome suits me

I personally can't wait for Firefox 4, the interface is amazing it will make a lot of ppl change from all the other browsers TBH, as it will becoming a lot more business orientated from what I can remember, the JS engine will make Chrome's look inferior, and thus speed, and the other improvements, I heard you can sync computers, ie your work comp and home comp through it as well, which would be good if I needed to do it TBH. :)

Back