Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Cup Thread!

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by hankscorpio, Jun 13, 2014.

1. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

Brazil v Croatia was crazy! Feel the Croats were unlucky, and perhaps Brazil should have had Neymar sent off. But it was a good opener, and sure what's football if it's not a tiny bit controversial.

Looking forward to the Spain v Netherlands game tonight. But perhaps the Mexico v Cameroon game will be more open and entertaining?

I'm secretly backing Belgium by the way... they have a pretty strong team, young and experienced players.
  2. Wardy

Wardy Active Member

Croatia were robbed! The Brazilian player thanking god for the penalty he won leaves a nasty taste in the mouth. Nothing wrong with Croatia's disallowed goal either. Hope they still go through.
  3. hankscorpio

Oh I agree with all that. Croatia deserved more from the game. It was a good opening game. Looking forward to Spain tonight!
  4. Wardy

Wardy Active Member

Me too. There's too much to read on the Guardian Sport site!! Need to get some work done. :)
  5. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

I'm half Italian so the game tomorrow will be interesting :icon_smile:
  6. hankscorpio

Ah it's Friday ... relax :icon_smile:

Which half? Top or bottom?

I'm guessing a draw would pleaseth you?
  7. These days I half enjoy football and half hate it.

I enjoy the social gatherings the game inspires, watching with your mates etc. I enjoy watching high quality football, fast paced with lots of action
    I hate the diving, corruption, salaries (money could be better spent), hair cuts, and most of all I hate seeing footballers who've been nudged rolling around on the floor like they've just been shot.

I hope this is a good tournament so that it can re-ignite the love for the game that I used to have. I'll probably be placing a few small bets either way ;-)
  8. hankscorpio

I totally agree, there's far too much rolling around for these tough lads! I was lucky enough to almost stand by Cristiano Ronaldo a few years ago - I was only a few feet away. The guy is enormous! Well he's just over 6ft, and I'm 5ft 8in, but he's about 13 stone of pure muscle, I don't think he has an ounce of fat on him. But 13 stone is heavy for a 6ft person, and given that it's mostly muscle, gives you an idea of his stature.

How he falls over at a nudge is beyond me! I wish they brought a "Blue Card" and issue it for diving. After 5 "Blue Cards" the player could be banned. 2 "Blue Cards" and any thereafter in a game results in a "sin bin" for 5 minutes.

I think the "Blue Cards" should be retrospective too. And if a team cheats and scores a penalty by scoring, the other team should be awarded 1 point as compensation, and that player should be banned for 3 games.

But I don't make the laws!
  9. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Yeah in this round, don't know about later on mind, can the same team play twice in a world cup?

Edit: I suppose they can, as you can see I don't really watch much football lol :icon_biggrin:
  10. Wardy

Wardy Active Member

11. @GCarlD

@GCarlD Well-Known Member

And a good thing too! Blue cards? For diving? lol come off it.

I doubt Ronaldo is ever over 12.5 stone (max) given his height, age and profession. Also considering he is the second fastest footballer player in the world, he can't be walking around at 13 stone. I'm 12 stone at 6'2" but I'm not a professional footballer (clearly lol).

As for the match last night, yes Croatia were unlucky with a couple decisions (mainly the penalty), but there's no doubt Brazil deserved to win the game, just not by such a flattering scoreline. They didn't play great but they still dominated nearly the whole game and created far more chances.
  12. hankscorpio

That's friggin' awesome!

Well I don't know - just a way to stop it. A sin bin, or retrospective punishment for diving.

I got his weight from a google search lol - I didn't weigh him on the day!

Ah Croats had a goal disallowed for no reason, and a penalty for a dive by Fred. They were hard done by.

Brazil were more impressive I'll give them that :D
  13. @GCarlD

Well it weren't really a disallowed goal as the ref blew the whistle way before they kicked the balled into the net. Brazil even stopped defending at the time due to the whistle. The ref blew the whistle because Júlio César was impeded inside his own 6 yard box which was the correct decision as it is against the rules.
  14. hankscorpio

Ah the old "You can't compete with the keeper when he's in the air trying to catch it" rule.

Commentators seemed to think they were hard done by, and I think a player can challenge for the ball if it's in the air.

But them not the rules :)
  15. @GCarlD

I'm waiting for you to say: - Not a football expert - but... lol.

Yeah they were hard done by, no doubt and you can complete with the keeper when the ball is in the air but you can't impede the keeper inside his 6 yard box + when the keeper has got to the ball first. If the player got to the ball before the keeper that would of been different.

The Neymar yellow card was 100% wrong, and clearly proves the ref was indecisive that game. You can't give a yellow for that. It's either no card at all or a straight red card. In my opinion, it was a foul not worthy of a card.
  16. hankscorpio

He led in with the elbow and caught him with no intention to the play the ball.

I agree though, give a foul and no card, or give a foul and a red.
  17. dedwardp

dedwardp Member

Need to watch lower league football then and get the best of both worlds. :icon_smile:
  18. hankscorpio

I love the lower league - Leeds fan here :violin:
  19. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

Looks like Spain might "do a France" if they are not careful. Amazing how those great teams can disintegrate after just four years. If Holland can play like that there may be hope for England after all :thumb:
  20. hankscorpio

Wow - what a weekend of results!

Italy beating England - close game! Uruguay losing to Costa Rica was a complete shocker!

Germany Portugal later - can't wait! Should be an exciting game!