Working with more than one designer

Lio Orenda

Hello,

I would love to hear your thoughts and insights on he following topic: One of my clients is looking to re-design his website. As a project manager, I was assigned to this task. The thing is I found two designers that made a really good impression, and I consider hiring them both for doing the wireframing and the design.
My question is: What is the best way to do this without having them step on each other toes? I obviously wish to maximize the results I'm getting from them and make the collaboration bear fruits.
I would love to hear you thoughts and insights on this.

Thanks in advance,
Lio

Just pick one. Having two designers, who've never worked together, work together remotely on a web design project is likely going to lead to issues. You also run the risk of ending up with a site that doesn't quite match in style, since they'll both be having design ideas that may conflict.

I often dread when I hear another designer is working on something in tandem as I've had bad experiences with receiving terribly unorganised design files, mediocre design styles I have to follow and filter through into whatever I'm working, and just generally being disheartened with the project and not feeling like it's worth giving 100% effort.

Just pick one. Having two designers, who've never worked together, work together remotely on a web design project is likely going to lead to issues. You also run the risk of ending up with a site that doesn't quite match in style, since they'll both be having design ideas that may conflict.

I often dread when I hear another designer is working on something in tandem as I've had bad experiences with receiving terribly unorganised design files, mediocre design styles I have to follow and filter through into whatever I'm working, and just generally being disheartened with the project and not feeling like it's worth giving 100% effort.
It sound like you talking about a situation where you both work separately, meaning that you had to follow up on his work.
But what about a situation where both designers are working in collaboration, delivering to me/the client one design which is the result of a joint work?

If they are working in house together then there could be benefits, if they are working remotely then it may be difficult.
this really, working in a team in the way you describe is only really possible when the designers are together.

Why do you feel you need 2 designers? If it's a big project it'd be best to take on one designer and tell them that a budget is available should they need an artworker or developer to share the load whilst following a single vision lad out by the designer.

Good designers are often quite primadonna-esque about their "vision" for a project so 2 designers being forced to work together isn't goingto end well.

Back