Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working with more than one designer

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by Lio Orenda, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Lio Orenda

Lio Orenda New Member

I would love to hear your thoughts and insights on he following topic: One of my clients is looking to re-design his website. As a project manager, I was assigned to this task. The thing is I found two designers that made a really good impression, and I consider hiring them both for doing the wireframing and the design.
    My question is: What is the best way to do this without having them step on each other toes? I obviously wish to maximize the results I'm getting from them and make the collaboration bear fruits.
    I would love to hear you thoughts and insights on this.

Thanks in advance,
  2. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

Just pick one. Having two designers, who've never worked together, work together remotely on a web design project is likely going to lead to issues. You also run the risk of ending up with a site that doesn't quite match in style, since they'll both be having design ideas that may conflict.

I often dread when I hear another designer is working on something in tandem as I've had bad experiences with receiving terribly unorganised design files, mediocre design styles I have to follow and filter through into whatever I'm working, and just generally being disheartened with the project and not feeling like it's worth giving 100% effort.
    Lio Orenda likes this.
  3. Lio Orenda

Lio Orenda New Member

It sound like you talking about a situation where you both work separately, meaning that you had to follow up on his work.
    But what about a situation where both designers are working in collaboration, delivering to me/the client one design which is the result of a joint work?
  4. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

If they are working in house together then there could be benefits, if they are working remotely then it may be difficult.
    @GCarlD likes this.
  5. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

this really, working in a team in the way you describe is only really possible when the designers are together.
  6. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

Why do you feel you need 2 designers? If it's a big project it'd be best to take on one designer and tell them that a budget is available should they need an artworker or developer to share the load whilst following a single vision lad out by the designer.

Good designers are often quite primadonna-esque about their "vision" for a project so 2 designers being forced to work together isn't goingto end well.