Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

working in US

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Smog Art, Jan 7, 2012.

  1. Smog Art

    Smog Art Junior Member


    i'm after a little advice regarding a move I'm thinking of making to find permanent employment in the US. I don't however, know the trials and tribulations involved in such a move and wondered if anyone here has done such a thing and could give me some handy pointers.

    I currently live and work in London England and have seen many jobs I am interested in listed on US recruitment websites, however living over here am i likely to be ignored by overseas agencies and employers given that i don't have a H1B visa and I would need to relocate?

    Anyone been in this situation?
  2. Rhonda

    Rhonda Senior Member

    I am an American, let me see if I can provide some information. I believe that unless you become a permanent citizen of the U.S. first, the Department of State will only treat you as a temporary visitor and so will require you to obtain an H1B visa and sponsorship before you can legally work here. For permanent residence, you need to start the process to apply for citizenship. Have a look at USCIS-Citizenship and Immigration Services.

    And here are some more links you can look at that deal with working in America and searching for jobs and sponsorship.

    US Department of State-Visa Inofrmation
    Employment Based Visas
    H1 Base
    American Visa Bureau
  3. BenJonesDesign

    BenJonesDesign Active Member

    I've sorta looked into it before with my partner but it seems near on impossible to become a permanent resident unless you are either sponsored by a company you get a job with in the US or have family in the US who are US citizens. Apart from that it seems to longest you can stay is up to 1 year.
  4. Thewholehogg

    Thewholehogg Active Member

    I just sneaked across the Mexican boarder and worked at a water melon farm for five years.
    Happy days.
  5. berry

    berry Active Member

    didn't you get 3 years for bum running?
  6. Thewholehogg

    Thewholehogg Active Member

    In India I got the runny bum....

Share This Page